Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repeal the Jones Act?
Currently I think it would be wiser to allow the XL pipeline, Especially if the Jones act would be repealed. Currently all that oil is still being moved, Just by rail instead of pipe.

IMHO the Jones act is a long outdated protection scheme for an industry which practically does not exist in the United states anymore, IE ship building. We dont have a steel industry per se, All the steel mills have been dismantled and hauled to china. Almost all steel comes from china.

So figure the cost of shipping a 40' container from LA to Hawaii is around 5800.00 while shipping the same container to China is around 500.00. (or there about last I checked) That 5300 dollars is basically gravy for the shipping companies. The Ship building companies see very little of that because they still have to compete with the China price on ships. They dont have two prices, oh this ship is for interstate transport? oh that will be an extra 50million.

Im not worried about the shipping worker strike. Provisions in the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act) placed by Obama. Clearly state the government can come in and take over these operations which I think might just happen soon if the labor dispute is not resolved. The shipping lanes will be kept open. Im sure China will soon start applying pressure to force the US govt to do something about it. China would have already made all the workers kneel in front of a ditch and sent the bill for the bullet to the family if that would have happened there.
it would be wiser to allow the XL pipeline

Especially since we don't live there. More power to 'em.
Kander: thanks for your post. That seems to be the best explanation of how the Jones act really affects life on the Big Island (5800 to ship to BI vs 500 to ship to China) Also a good call on the movement of tar sands oil on rail systems. There have now been two huge rail disasters in North America due to the hauling of oil in the last year or two. For safety, pipeline is much better. If only there were guarantees of monitoring the pipelines for the long run to avoid leaks.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Currently I think it would be wiser to allow the XL pipeline, Especially if the Jones act would be repealed. Currently all that oil is still being moved, Just by rail instead of pipe.

kander and VancouverIslander - do you realize that TransCanada, a foreign company, is trying to force Nebraskans off their land using eminent domain so they can run the pipeline on US soil? How can a private foreign company use eminent domain for their own gain? Isn't eminent domain- taking private property for public use- reserved for the government? Luckily, a few days ago a judge in Nebraska put a halt to this: http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.co...-xl-159233
but it's a fight that's not over yet. Private companies taking private land via eminent domain is definitely a bad precedent.
Tentative deal on dock strike just announced.

Community begins with Aloha
Eminent domain is apparently quite a common thing for companies to be involved in, and thus the precedence has already left the station. At least in Texas:

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/tag/eminent-domain/

And in Missouri:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/statht...02621.html

And even nationally according to Cornell University:

"It should be borne in mind that while the power of eminent domain, though it is inherent in organized governments, may only be exercised through legislation or through legislative delegation, usually to another governmental body, the power may be delegated as well to private corporations, such as public utilities, railroad and bridge companies, when they are promoting a valid public purpose. Such delegation has long been approved.172"

- http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/a..._user.html

I'd like to see anyone affected by such an appropriation be rewarded handsomely for it (well above market value) I'd also like to see serious oversight of such things to ensure that the projects are in the public interest.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Thanks for that info VancouverIslander. I am amazed that it is so easy for private companies to grab private property via eminent domain. I am glad I do not live in the path of this pipeline. Although there's talk of bringing it through Alaska (my home state):http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...ntice-says
When I hear of supporters of continued oil imports from the Middle East, I feel like driving them to the local military cemetery to read tomb stones.

With Canadian supplies and new technologies coupled with energy savings, the US should be independent already from the Middle East.

Hawaii burns oil to make electric power despite nearly unlimited geothermal reserves along Saddle Road.

People still burn oil to heat homes on the East Coast.

In the Philippines nearly 90% of all soda pop and beer is sold in a recycled glass bottle. The wear marks on the bottles indicate dozens of times through the factory. If you want a new plastic bottle it is twice the price.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
If the Jones Act is about "protecting national security", why is it totally okay to hire H1B foreign nationals to run the computers at a power utility?

http://www.computerworld.com/article/287...ments.html
Hate to say it but if it were not for the ability to steal the best of the best brains from foreign nations the United states would have lost its edge a long time ago. The dismal situation with education in this country demands we bring in bright people from elsewhere. Lets face the facts there are 310Million Americans and 6 billion other people with better schooling, and specifically schooling in the sciences.

For some reason the culture in America is slanted more towards football and sports than it is to academics.