Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow on Mauna Kea
10-inches of snow is roughly equivalent to one-inch of rain.

Snow at the summit doesn't necessarily mean lots of rain in Puna though. The snow at the summit generally comes from convective conditions which are usually local. So even if there is a large-scale weather system causing snow at the summit, it doesn't always mean rain at sea level. The reverse is true as well. Puna might get heavy rain, but it doesn't mean there will be snow at the summit. Some of the heavy rainstorms we get on the east side never make it to higher elevations. I've been on the summit, nay at 9,000 feet near the VIS, and the weather is beautifully sunny while Hilo and Puna are being flooded.

Hawaii Island's topography means we get quite a lot of unusual conditions that can be very localized.
It's going to be beautiful if it clears up after this rain.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/community-bul...nd-summits

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Hey Tom! Got snow?
Well I am not sure if tom's getting his snow yet, but we here in leilani all morning have been getting a very steady well needed rain. Just what the garden doctor ordered. Usually we here in the great ohia rain forest get rain when Mauna kea gets snow, still hold true for me Tom. I look forward to the cloud break to be able to witness one of mother natures true beauties and wonders of the world, maunakea in Hawaii once again having its snow cover. Maybe at the end of the week, or next week I will have to rent a truck and have another snowball war with the keiki at Hapuna beach? Always a great day when you can take snow (ice) to the beach. More than half the snow melts on the way down, with the new highway it may be less now though.
Not sure if Tom is getting snow (seems he may not be on the mountain, given the images ffrom the Mauna Kea Weathercams)
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/cams/...mode=multi

Added: It doesn't look like the snow is down to the MLO level..so this may be a cresting of the mountain snow, not a full on drape....& yes, I do realize those are two different mountains, but I gaze at them every morning they (and the clouds) allow!
no snow atop Puna's summit this A.M., but reporting in also with a steady moderate rain. tanks soon to be overflowing i reckon.
Wow Carey, thank you for sharing. Awesome weather cams for our summit. Enough snow so that the Flights in or out from the Big Isle should be getting a real treat in the coming days or weeks. Beaches, lava flows, snow caps, and rainbows all wrapped up with some aloha spirit and RR, that sounds pretty good to most after a few bad months of winter.
More snow forecast for tonight then there might be a break in the clouds Thursday afternoon through Friday morning so the summit could be visible from sea level during that time. Then more snow is forecast for Friday night through the weekend.

I saw some snow on the ground in the MLO web cams today although it did melt quickly. However, as temperatures drop overnight I wouldn't be surprised to see snow down to the 11,000 foot level tomorrow, perhaps lower.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

More snow forecast for tonight then there might be a break in the clouds Thursday afternoon through Friday morning so the summit could be visible from sea level during that time. Then more snow is forecast for Friday night through the weekend.

I saw some snow on the ground in the MLO web cams today although it did melt quickly. However, as temperatures drop overnight I wouldn't be surprised to see snow down to the 11,000 foot level tomorrow, perhaps lower.

([Smile]Sorry) Mr. Tom, I love the snow (knowing it makes for a challenge at the top of Mauna Kea)!

Thank you for the good news! The break is welcome, too. We had three full weeks of rain in 1989, and when the clouds (and rain) broke, Mauna Kea was in her glory! The snow covered at least a third of the mountain.

Down to the 11K foot level is going to be quite a sight. Combined with an almost full moon, should be something to see.

Mahalo again.

JMO.
Well, if you do get a glimpse of the mountain tomorrow, spare thought for all the crews working up there clearing the snow. I can tell you from personal experience that snow clearing at 14,000 ft is not a pleasant experience!