Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feral Pigs moved on.
Yard Swine! Have gun, will travel.
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

On the road or off back in the woods? Big difference. I hear gun shots frequently also but not on a public roadway.
Read the firearm laws for the state including those regarding transport of firearms and the few accepted reasons for transport. The firearm must be in an approved gun case, etc. You must be traveling to or from a gun range, hunting area, gun smith, gun shop and or the police department for licensing purposes and to or from one place of redsidence to another. Theoretically stopping to get a soda with gun in vehicle can get you in trouble. That's about it, walking on down the road with a gun in hand won't cut it out here and the chances of you having a gun when spotting some feral pigs on the roadside are minimal. Discharging the gun along the side of the public road would be a big fat breach of the Hawaii laws. I personally enjoy my freedom and see no need to aquire a felony charge/conviction for something as pathetically stupid as that.

Just did a search here on Punaweb about feral pigs and found this thread. Curious as to what the law is regarding handling pigs wandering on your own property? Thanks for any info!
what the law is regarding handling pigs wandering on your own property?

I don't believe a hunting permit is required on your own land but I have also heard that some HPD officers believe it is while others believe it isn't.

Practical reality is: in a low-density ag subdivision, HPD won't respond fast enough (if at all), especially when the neighbors don't bother to call it in -- when I hear shots, my reaction is usually "yay, one less pig". (Country acoustics being what they are, I couldn't really be accurate enough to make a useful report anyway. "Over that-a-ways, maybe a mile?")
The other night, somebody was shooting for the heck of it--10-12 shots right after another...pause (reloading?)...10-12 shots...pause, repeat.

Since it sounded like drunks firing randomly--instead of pig hunters-- I called the cops and described the situation. They never came out, though the shots continued for about another hour.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
quote:
Originally posted by Lee M-S

The other night, somebody was shooting for the heck of it--10-12 shots right after another...pause (reloading?)...10-12 shots...pause, repeat.

Since it sounded like drunks firing randomly--instead of pig hunters-- I called the cops and described the situation. They never came out, though the shots continued for about another hour.

target practice
quote:

Your description doesn't sound very "random". I go with target practice, too.
You can hunt pigs on your property as long as you don't endanger your neighbors. If the bullet leaves your property, you shouldn't be shooting. Firearms are a bad idea in HPP where I live not only because of the danger to neighbors, but also the noise. Most don't want to hear gunshots in their neighborhood! Hunting hours are from 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sunset, even on private property. I have bow hunted and trapped on private properties but always consider where the pig will run once he's shot. Don't want him to die in someone's yard!

Aloha!
Aloha!
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

quote:

Your description doesn't sound very "random". I go with target practice, too.

Too bad 'they' protest every gun range ever proposed - perhaps Lees nights would be quieter!
Mahalo for all the input!
Too bad 'they' protest every gun range ever proposed

Nailed it, thank you KJ.

The irony is just amazing here: for every activity, there is a group that would like to build a place for safely controlled enjoyment of that activity ... and at least three groups that don't want it built anywhere near them, even as they complain about the impacts of that same unregulated, free-range activity.