Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feral Pigs moved on.
We've three feral orphaned pigs hanging out on our property. I'm pretty certain I can catch them if anyone is interested in taking all three of them. They are pigs (still babies), one black and the other two are gold/brown colored with some black stripes, etc.
No, we didn't take out the sow, a neighbor did a few days ago at their place and now they've (the pigs) adopted our place.
need to be bottle fed babies?
No longer nursing, they are in full on plow mode feeding. Smile
Why would anyone take in three feral baby pigs?

I say eat them.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Delicious.
Unless they're really small it's going to be really hard to catch them . what you need is a trap and better sooner than later because when they get bigger they will be destroying your property.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Easter dinner

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Why would anyone take in three feral baby pigs?

To eat them.

I'm confused you answered your own question [Wink]
When they're young like this, they are still very curious and can be drawn near by simply wearing something dark and making a hog noise through your sinus cavity (Push air through the back of your throat into your upper sinus cavity and slightly block it with the back of your throat). They will come right up to you, sniff your shoes etc. I've done it and picked them up. They don't like being picked up and will squeal like a SOB.
As per what they will become... we have many of those already and are fully aware of what they do and have fixed their damages many times already.
Why do some people take them? Sometimes to eat them the size they already are, sometimes to raise them for slaughter, sometimes for farm pets and others to work them in gardens for plowing, etc. Any uses beyond that, I'm not familiar with nor care to be.Wink

If you ever spot a group of orphaned small feral pigs (pigs are young hogs and piglets are not yet weaned) along the side of a dirt road, I'd highly recommend stopping and greeting them. It's one of those rare constitution building encounters we can have on this island.
yep, as kane says, to raise and fatten up nice and tender is the obvious reason someone might reasonably take them. have had neighbors in the past do just that, raising it to enormous proportions ...by which point for them it had become a pet, not food. but that's their kuleana, can't say i blame them either way.