Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OHA Votes to Rescind Their Support for the TMT
My point was that after decades of yearning and planning ultimately the Jewish people needed tanks to seize the land that they wanted. Kanakas do not have tanks. Good luck with the protests.
dakine,

I am not part of a "tag team." And I cannot learn if I don't ask questions. It's not easy to glean all perspectives from online research. Especially your perspective, so if you do not want to share it I might not know about it.

As just an aside, Tom and I are not married. I cannot live on the Big Island because I need specialized medical care. I am not well but have instead serious chronic illness.

I don't know anyone who makes telescopes although yes I know someone who works at one.

I have always loved Hawaiian language and culture. Long before I met Tom, my family almost moved to Hawaii. I understand about titles. My stepfather was a division manager for a title insurance company.
I also have a dual degree, Ivy League FWIW, in both economics and international relations.

I am concerned for Hawai'i. I realize this is just my opinion, but I think it would be a mistake for Hawai'i to throw away your seven-year approval process for the TMT, and I think it would be a mistake for many reasons.

As for the Kingdom, whether right or wrong, there are a lot of issues to be concerned with, for your own sakes as well as those of others.

The Jewish state does not seem a good comparison to me. You are asking to bring something back to life. Israel is a creation which gleaned a lot of support after the unspeakable way Jews were treated in WWII Germany. But the state was formed on land already occupied, creating problems which persist to this day. It would be the Arabs who could parallel the Hawaiian kingdom, wanting to remove the newcomers. Not that I consider either side of the debate over the kingdom to have the level of violence that exists in the Middle East conflict, of course. And I think clashing religion there is a factor. So none of it is really a parallel. And nationalism and desire for self determination are on both sides. I think at this point Israel has a right to exist, although I question continued expansion. The Palestinians have to have somewhere to live. This doesn't really, in my mind, have much to do with Hawai'i.

I don't think Tom is indoctrinated with the concept of colonization! Are you indoctrinated with the restrictions on what Hawaiian women were allowed to eat? I would be very surprised if you were [Smile]

Anyway, please don't assume where I'm coming from, except that I do support the TMT. As you pointed out, the kingdom is another issue and I am still studying all of its complexity.

I assure you I have compassion for all the different points of view, as you suggested I do. Hope you have the same.

Pam in CA
May is Lupus Awareness Month
Pam in CA
Tmt re-incarnated as Hubble-2 would be the silver lining here. I could live with that.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
Opihikao,

I love your posts. You are always informative without being hurtful to others (I get hurt sometimes by others although I keep it to myself.). I also love your language, culture, and stories!

I am trying to learn about the kingdom issues. I notice you mention leases not being honored and I wondered if you know where I could read about these?

Hugs from me Smile

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
The analogy of the Hawaiians and the Israelis would only be apt if Native Hawaiians were receiving billions in US Aid to help them claim and keep what they contend is rightfully theirs.

Of course, the United States is unlikely to throw billions at a cause that undermines its own safety and security.....oh wait.....
But the ones who had their homeland taken over were the Palestiinians who don't get that $$$$ US aid Smile

Both situations are very complex. I just have to consider them to be separate.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
quote:
Originally posted by beepbeep

Opihikao,

I love your posts. You are always informative without being hurtful to others (I get hurt sometimes by others although I keep it to myself.). I also love your language, culture, and stories!

I am trying to learn about the kingdom issues. I notice you mention leases not being honored and I wondered if you know where I could read about these?

Hugs from me Smile

Pam in CA

Aloha, Pam! So good to "see" you here. Prayers continued.

A good place to start is the State Auditor's Report (all of them) with regard to Mauna Kea. The link below is where the reports can be found:

http://auditor.hawaii.gov/?s=mauna+kea

(*Note - these are PDF files)

Overall, the management of Mauna Kea is left to entities that are dealing with so many other issues, enforcement of the provisions of the leases have fallen by the wayside.

Unfortunately, good people like our Mr. Tom, are doing their best, but the government itself is at fault. We shall see how this OHA vote matters, if at all.

Warmest aloha.

JMO.
Mahalo Smile

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
FWIW,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzs1ppN6hqY

at 19:00 minutes in is Mailani speaking. The only thing recorded is some clapping from the audience, but after her talk is the major censure to the audience from two OHA members. Must have been something more that audio didn't capture.

I slogged through the video above as well as as "part 3" which opihikao posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDt9vaUMdA&feature=youtu.be

Has anyone watched this stuff? I am taken aback, to say the least. It makes the posts here on PunaWeb seem like straight up sanity. I started with "part 3" and could not believe my ears.

Is this what stands for public discourse on the matter?

It's like a very very bad SNL skit.

unCheers,
Kirt

"What a world, what a world, I'm melting, I'm melting."
Well, I'm not sure where part 1 is.

I think the TMT is sacred, and we are all blessed to be its witness. LOL.

Cheers,
Kirt