Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HawaiianTel internet service
"So I'm making it my mission to make sure they know that someone out here will be doing all they can to counteract their propaganda."

We need more people like you!
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...ilty-fraud

$4M "misused".

For reference: a full remote DSLAM installation is roughly $500K.
We agree with Terracore. Thanks Dick, for adding your voice.

To update, after being a squeaky wheel for so long, Hawaiian Telcom has finally scheduled a technician to visit us on the 20th "to see if there is some way to speed up the service". We're not hopeful but we'll post the outcome.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...ilty-fraud

$4M "misused".

For reference: a full remote DSLAM installation is roughly $500K.

The telecom executive you refer to is a former executive of Sandwich Isles Communications, a RULEC that serves only DHHL land tracts. They've received millions in Universal Service Fund subsidies to service these areas.
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/oba...es-n392836

Everyone will be happy to know that according to the map that goes with this article we are "well above" average for broadband access. I wonder if they are averaging the whole state in with Honolulu to get that statistic.
In keeping with our new campaign regarding Hawaii telcoms false and misleading advertising. We filed a OCP complaint. Further sent a news tip to KHON2 always investigating regarding same, and pointing out to them that this is one of their advertisers we are talking about. Waiting to see.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
Nice!
we are "well above" average for broadband access

Fed definition of "coverage" is "one house in the zipcode".
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Telcom reps recently contacted my business, wanting to "just drop off" some glossy brochures explaining their wonderful new offerings. When I told them I would happily make time if they had new services available at my location, they begged off, apologizing "didn't realize you weren't on Oahu".
Ironically, they don't even have service on most of Oahu. After getting frustrated that OTWC costs so much, and because I would be fine with slower internet if it's cheaper, I looked into Hawaiian Tel in leeward Oahu but no - they don't have service even in densely populated areas.
After getting frustrated that OTWC costs so much

Funny thing, turns out Oceanic's franchise agreement with Hawaii County expired a few years ago, and they're running on quarterly "letter of intent to sign franchise agreement".

If the County wanted to do something useful here, the new agreement would require fewer subscribers/mile, and eliminate the requirement that Oceanic customers also have HELCO.