Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Kalani kitchen ('restaurant') still open?
DH, whoever you are, you have at least some of your "facts" mixed up.
Aloha, Puna community!

Our Kalani Kitchen is in good standing. We continue to create fabulous, healthy meals as always with even more local produce included than ever before.

We received our green/pass status back. The yellow rating was given after one of our reach-in refrigerators was not at the exact degree required. That issue was resolved.

There has been no documented cases of food poisoning. We feed approximately 200 people three times per day. Our staff is trained in all areas of food safety. Come and enjoy a very special Kalani meal with us soon.

Mahalo!
Sounds like cooler temperature is a commonly cited violation by inspectors, especially if they arrive at a busy time of day:

Café Julia... Owner Emerson Ribao says the refrigerator was constantly being opened Monday, and that’s why the temperature increased so quickly.

“See right now it’s 40, and this was reading 51 yesterday,” he said.

http://khon2.com/2014/07/22/popular-eate...iolations/

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
For whatever reason, I've noticed it seems there is a segment of people who over the years seem to love to hate Kalani Honua. The criticisms are typically on the vague and unsubstantiated side, often revolving around some sort of stereotyping.
segment of people who over the years seem to love to hate Kalani Honua.

Exactly. As if Kalani did something to them. Having visited many many times, I'm left wondering if maybe there's another "bad Kalani" somewhere else, like an evil twin.
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Aloha, Puna community!

Our Kalani Kitchen is in good standing. We continue to create fabulous, healthy meals as always with even more local produce included than ever before.

We received our green/pass status back. The yellow rating was given after one of our reach-in refrigerators was not at the exact degree required. That issue was resolved.

There has been no documented cases of food poisoning. We feed approximately 200 people three times per day. Our staff is trained in all areas of food safety. Come and enjoy a very special Kalani meal with us soon.

Mahalo!

Thanks for the update.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

For whatever reason, I've noticed it seems there is a segment of people who over the years seem to love to hate Kalani Honua. The criticisms are typically on the vague and unsubstantiated side, often revolving around some sort of stereotyping.

While I am sure a lot of that exists, there is also a solid amount of justified and substantial disgruntlement directed at Kalani also, especially from the half dozen or so managers who suffered under LJ's reign of terror.
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Aloha, Puna community!

Mahalo!

Hi Tiki,

Can you let us here know the source of the drinking water offered at Kalani?
(the drinking water, as in the water at specific locations on campus designated as drinking water)
the half dozen or so managers who suffered under LJ's reign of terror

Vague. Unsubstantiated. Stereotyping.
“See right now it’s 40, and this was reading 51 yesterday,”

Granted that my experiences are from other states, but the health inspectors never measured the temperature of the refrigerator but the temp of the food inside of it. 51 degrees is never an acceptable temperature for 'refrigerated" food.

Ice baths (typically a stainless steel food container sitting in ice water (think salad bar) are an acceptable form of refrigeration even if the room temperature is 80 degrees. The health inspectors would come with their temp probes and insert them into the refrigerated food.

I've lived in places where 51 degrees was just below room temperature. That's not refrigeration and it's not safe for food.