Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Hawaii start up to deal with plastic waste
what is YOUR vision to reduce the current waste

HI-5 style "bounty" on plastic and styrofoam ... assuming there's somewhere to actually recycle it.
Mahalo for getting me back to the subject matter, apologies for drifting where the conversation went. The blocks mentioned seem to be usable in a non structural way (infill between structural posts) as I would imagine to have a decent thermal value when encapsulated with stucco or siding on exterior, plaster coat ( that goes back a ways before Sheetrock!) on the interior. As far as the need for thermal value in an island climate not so sure, but still a usable product from waste plastic. Maybe a good export commodity? "Fish" plastic from the sea and land, convert to block, ship overseas to wherever?

Community begins with Aloha
I'm sorry tink but I completely disagree with you. Hemp would not become an invasive species here. (theoretically) Try casually tossing some hemp seeds in a random spot in your yard. Toss a hundred of them. Not a single one will grow. Not without care.
I think this is a great idea; 3/4 of my trash is plastic waste--after I recycle HI-5 containers, glass, paper, cardboard & metal, and compost vegetable waste.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
"These blocks can be made in the same size as standard concrete blocks, though don't have the same weight-bearing capabilities. The blocks do have good acoustic and thermal insulation properties, which ByFusion says makes them ideal for use in road projects or fill-in building frames."

What does this mean exactly?
Mahalo Carey,

WOW, today we go from raking plastic junk out of the ocean ( and people making unfounded assumptions + already complaining to how it might? be repurposed ) to growing Hemp in a single thread today on PW.

Non-structural has yet to be defined from what I can gleen so far. Maybe I will pick up the phone this week and call. I bet they meltdown/transformation process also 'kills off a bunch of stuff too.
Hi Tink again.

I would recommend everyone in Hilo go to Kawamoto Vegetable Store for they Musubi instead of 7/11. Take a few minutes and have some fun talking to your neighbors and the staff there. http://www.kawamotostore.com/ Let them wrap you in paper. peace