Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Fever
We ate at Lucy's (Taqueria in Hilo) when we were there. It was loud and full but we had good service. People were nice and we got our food in a reasonable time. There is no shortage of good Mexican food here in California, so it's a high bar to meet. I would say the food there was decent: not great but I would go back.

While in Kona we ate at Pancho & Lefty's. Kinda touristy but it was... acceptable. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.
I haven't left the State since my Dad's Funeral 7 years ago and am content to remain here. I think sometimes we don't see the beauty around us because we're too close to it, immersed in it all the time. I find that sometimes a bit of distance clears my vision, increases appreciation.
If you're feeling like you need to go, just do it! Coming back will be all the sweeter if this is truly your home.
I got Cabin Fever in Oregon during the winters, but I've never experienced Island Fever and we've been here 30+ years.
Malls and shopping never beckoned me, but good restaurants always will. We have a few.
I got sick last time I ate at Luquims. Reuben's makes a killer potato and pork taco. It rivals any I ever had in Mexico. (Right next to Hilo Farmer's Market Terricore, ) Yum. Might have to dive to Hilo...
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that Reuben's is authentic American Mexican food, not Mexican. Personally I like it, but it's not to everyone's taste; it tends towards the heavy and greasy. And yes, the service is generally bad, depending on the mood the server is in. But far better on both counts than Luquin's.
Nobody has mentioned Amigos...small little hole-in-the-wall on Keawe Street. Killer chile rellenos, burritos, and carne asada fries.
Is that Buenos Amigos? Went there when it first opened, they seemed to have problems getting everything together; it's probably time to try it again.

quote:
Originally posted by Punajayne

Nobody has mentioned Amigos...small little hole-in-the-wall on Keawe Street. Killer chile rellenos, burritos, and carne asada fries.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
I've only been going since Aug. and it's been Amigos Taqueria since then. Possibly a name change or even new ownership since you've been there. How long ago?
I get rock fever being stuck on planet Earth.
There are supercivilizations out there, the real deal.
But, yeah. Puna will have to do.
But that's just me.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that Reuben's is authentic American Mexican food, not Mexican. Personally I like it, but it's not to everyone's taste; it tends towards the heavy and greasy. And yes, the service is generally bad, depending on the mood the server is in. But far better on both counts than Luquin's.

Well, I can guarantee Reuben is an authentic Mexican, you can see him, and sometimes his brother taking a break at the back of the restaurant. His wife Sue is the bartender, the American half. Their food tends to be very salty, but that makes the margaritas so much better. I like their tortas, fish, beef, pork, or chicken. Our servers are always good, but we're regulars and always tip 20%. It helps if you're not cheap.
I miss being able to drive to Tacoma or Seattle for a two day weekend chess tournament. Here, I have to fly to Oahu or the mainland, stay at a hotel, eat at restaurants, etc, etc.

I miss many of my favorite motorcycle rides in the Pacificc northwest. I don't miss the cold, wet riding to work year round in that weather.

I miss not having a safe, legal gun range to go target practicing, and competing at.

I have only been off island for said chess tournaments (three times), or for medical reasons (Kaiser Permanente), since we moved here over 5 years ago now.

I do miss having a Chevies restaurant within easy driving distance. Here, so far for Mexican food, Lucy's is my favorite.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
The thread's almost turned into a Mexican restaurant review.
It's true there are lots of things to "pine" that are across our ocean on the mainlands. I go off on a visit/ vacation every 2 or three years. What I notice: I miss and love my relatives, I like the new sights, I realize why I don't live there with my relatives and when the vacation nears an end after a couple weeks....I CANNOT WAIT to get back to our beloved aina, Hawaii island.