Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGV Iceland style
Mahalo and God Bless Ironyak.

TomK quite tonight.
Originally posted by PaulW

You can only quote things that have already been said, you know. Though in your case it is a good idea, saves us from struggling through your spelling mistakes. I've swum in the "Blue Lagoon", what a piece of marketing genius! Let people pay to swim in your (perfectly safe) waste water. This would work great in Hawaii. But for the noisy anti-science crowd.

Yeah, I tend read and quote scientific studies as needed. I find it to be more reliable than making things up to suit my opinion. Sometimes I learn something and even have to admit I was wrong, but at least it's more honest and productive than only attacking those that don't agree with me. I highly recommend giving it a try.
Originally posted by pog

Mahalo and God Bless Ironyak.

Cheers Pog! Happy Holidays to another ghost of punaweb past - keep rattling those chains! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

Right, why bother to actually read any information (much of which is from published studies)...

What a pleasant holiday surprise: ironyak back in spirited form. I gotta ask, though, what about the article is so useful or important to your mind? The only real link (below) correlates Hydrogen sulfide with daily death rates. Most of that Hydrogen sulfide in that area of Iceland comes from geothermal. Nearly all of the big island's Hydrogen sulfide comes from volcanic activity, not geothermal, if I remember correctly.

And as far as I can tell, the article isn't peer reviewed for publication anyway-- not that that means it is inaccurate-- but I don't really get what about it is supposed to stop a pro-PGV person in their tracks if they have, shall we say, intellectual integrity?

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e007272.full?ijkey=yFIVgx7U0VozlTg&keytype=ref

Likely I am missing something about the importance you assign to the original link and it's links. Can you elaborate on the importance? Granted you originally posted that it would show the difference between the situation in Iceland and Puna, which it does illustrate. But in your following posts you seem to grant other importance to it that shouldn't be ignored.

Seems almost a red herring relative to PGV.

Cheers,
Kirt

edit to change SO2 to Hydrogen sulfide, but now I'm not sure about the whole post. Oh well, warts and all...I certainly don't want to delete the post and get on everyone's naughty list. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

Originally posted by PaulW

You can only quote things that have already been said, you know. Though in your case it is a good idea, saves us from struggling through your spelling mistakes. I've swum in the "Blue Lagoon", what a piece of marketing genius! Let people pay to swim in your (perfectly safe) waste water. This would work great in Hawaii. But for the noisy anti-science crowd.

Yeah, I tend read and quote scientific studies as needed. I find it to be more reliable than making things up to suit my opinion. Sometimes I learn something and even have to admit I was wrong, but at least it's more honest and productive than only attacking those that don't agree with me. I highly recommend giving it a try.

What does a study about bacteria in geothermal brine have to do with any of this.
Obie - What does a study about bacteria in geothermal brine have to do with any of this.

So reading beyond the summary (and emphasizing the earlier quote)-
"The fluid in the Svartsengi geothermal aquifer is therefore made out of approximately two thirds seawater and one third freshwater."

Although geothermal brines are used in several places for energy production, they are usually of much higher temperature and/or salinity and often contain high concentrations of toxic compounds like heavy metals.

It therefore appears that this temperature and salinity range. the short retention time, and especially the high silica precipitation, form a unique combination which seems to be found nowhere else."

For PGV:
"The geothermal resource at PGV was, and still remains, one of the hottest in the world."
http://www.energy.ca.gov/research/notice...mments.pdf

and analysis of scale from PGV shows the presence of several heavy metals including arsenic.
http://pubs.geothermal-library.org/lib/grc/1028353.pdf

But yeah, understanding the distinction between these geothermal liquids to see why bathing in PGV's brine would be a bad idea, must be "anti-science".

Edit:formatting
So PGV has vastly superior technology involved because they are able to re-inject the brine so it causes no harm !

In Iceland at the Blue Lagoon the the high sillca prevents them from doing that.
Puna is not Iceland, this superior technology some speak of has failed to protect my family and community for decades. The PGV started as an experiment, the communities living nearby have been a large part of the PGV-DOH experiment. jmo

Several Other informative links regarding PGV's history and operations here in Puna are kindly provided in this link.

https://www.change.org/p/hawaii-county-m...evelopment

quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Puna is not Iceland, this superior technology some speak of has failed to protect my family and community for decades. The PGV started as an experiment, the communities living nearby have been a large part of the PGV-DOH experiment. jmo

Several Other informative links regarding PGV's history and operations here in Puna are kindly provided in this link.

https://www.change.org/p/hawaii-county-m...evelopment

Sorry Gyp but you should be banned from posting about PGV.

You could have protected your family by taking the buyout so the failure to protect your family is now your fault !
Originally posted by Obie
So PGV has vastly superior technology involved because they are able to re-inject the brine so it causes no harm ! In Iceland at the Blue Lagoon the the high sillca prevents them from doing that.

So you don't believe Blue Lagoon's own studies that their geothermal waters are unique compared to other geothermal brines? That's why there are spas using geothermal plant effluent all over the world right? Oh wait, is there even one other example of this?

Perhaps you'll believe Table 8.1 (pg 161) from Geothermal Energy:Utilization and Technology showing from around a dozen to several hundred times a difference in the levels of heavy metals. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0013/00...33254e.pdf
Interestingly, Hveragerdi in Iceland (3rd largest geothermal plant in the world) has some of the lowest levels across the board. (I didn't realize how unique Iceland's geothermal resource really is - learned something new Smile

So PGV is a closed-loop reinjection system so (outside of those repeated "adverse events") there shouldn't be much opportunity for exposure. Unless you're still set on going swimming of course.

Edit:fix link