Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uber on Big Island
"On Friday the 15th I was there for an hour that saw 11 arrivals"
Eh? What hour was that??

The 17th, not the 15th--I appreciate the fact check. My bad.

But that's what the website said. Traffic was blazing in and out.

It was Friday, opening day--can't find last Friday, but below is next Friday. 10 Flights between 5:22 and 5:54. One is a cargo flght, but my point remains.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportQueryType=1&airportCode=ITO

My slant is that having favored the airport there were no fares. After getting bored I would drive the loop and the taxis were lined up, nothing to do--though I saw several taxis going out over the time.

My puzzlement is as big as yours...

Cheers,
Kirt
Ah, I see the problem, you have to click Show Codeshares : No at the top.

Well the biggest problem was my bad date, 15 instead of 17th.

And FWIW there were two 4:39 flights included last Friday.

Cheers,
Kirt
Not sign up fore Uber , But my credit card was charged @ 140 HGD in China. Credit Card stopped Payment .???
Hi Kirt

I put my own application in last week (I could put you down as a referral maybe?) and did some research, and appreciate your posts.
I was angling for cherry-picking "peak demand" and driving then, as internet wisdom says that pay is decent during those times. From your post, it sort of looks like there isn't any "peak" in these parts, at least not yet... so the pay is below minimum wage. Plus, you have to pay for your own gas and wear-and-tear on your car. And, driving is actually one of the most dangerous things people do. Oh, and you get to give rides to strangers who are on vacation and traveling and thus often drunk/disoriented/jet-lagged, or possibly missing their ship's departure. Or, you get to give rides to Punatics without cars, as referenced in the "Hitchhiking" thread.
I can hardly wait.
As others have mentioned it's such a new service I would think that not many people know about it. I wonder what advertising Uber does in new markets?

Also, I would think you would be able to write off the mileage a business expense. Currently it's 53.5 cents per mile driven.

From the IRS website:

2017 Standard Mileage Rates for Business, Medical and Moving Announced
IR-2016-169, Dec.13, 2016
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today issued the 2017 optional standard mileage rates used to calculate the deductible costs of operating an automobile for business, charitable, medical or moving purposes.
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2017, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be:
53.5 cents per mile for business miles driven, down from 54 cents for 2016
17 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes, down from 19 cents for 2016
14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
quote:
Originally posted by Lodestone

Hi Kirt
Oh, and you get to give rides to strangers who are on vacation and traveling and thus often drunk/disoriented/jet-lagged, or possibly missing their ship's departure. Or, you get to give rides to Punatics without cars, as referenced in the "Hitchhiking" thread.
I can hardly wait.

All riders I picked up were very civil. One even warned me about doing the bar closing run ("one pukes in your car and you're done for the night, maybe longer"). Punatics w/o cars aren't likely Uber riders since it requires a credit card and isn't really "cheap" to that crowd.

In essence you have hitching, HeleOn, Uber, taxis, car owners, as the continuum. Uber isn't yet an option for most of east Hawaii as far as I can tell. And even if/when it takes off I can't see the average hitcher using it.

Of course, I hope it works out for you (and me Wink) but it seems that, aside from making any reasonable money, the biggest "downside" is making pleasant small talk with people hip to a way to travel that is between the bus and the taxi. And that isn't really so bad. The online Uber driver forums are full of horror stories, but millions of successful rides happen without incident.

Time will tell. But the uniqueness of Puna (spread out and economically disadvantaged) may mean that if something like Uber is successful, it will be in a unique way. Who knows?

I suspect many new driver apps have gone in. I was never sure if being in on the beginning was a pro or con, but hey, it don't cost nuthin' (once I pay for my dash cam at least Wink). 50 cent/mile tax deduction. And I keep my car cleaner. Wink

If I do a Costco run this week I'll see if I can't do a couple Kona airport to Waikaloa runs to pay for some of it. I wonder how the grand opening is going over there...

Cheers,
Kirt
Maybe you could get a magnetic Uber sign made (like Neighborhood watch has) and stick it on the passenger side of your car as you're doing loops around Hilo airport.
hi knieft,
best wishes for your new adventure!!! When we travel, we generally rent a car from the airport.... flying in and out of Kona it's a savings and as a rule we don't bother our friends for a drop off at the Hilo airport.
We'll be traveling in May and June and checked the Uber site for a price alternative.
The site said rides between lower HPP and Hilo airport were not available.
Uber is all new to me. Are you available between lower HPP and Hilo Airport?
THANKS!