Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County resolution 205-17
a couple gated communities out around Shipmanville

Would it include a pass and access code for the gate at Shipman Beach? And perhaps a private access road from Hilo to the new gated communities along the railroad corridor? Now you're talking...

If I know what I shall find, I do not want to find it. Uncertainty is the salt of life. - biochemist Erwin Chargaff
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Don't be silly.. of course it would. For the gated communities the new road would be free to hilo.. anyone else... pays a toll.
the new road would be free to hilo

Don't be silly. The new road would be engineered to the "one way in, one way out" standard, so it would be completely useless for anything other than travel between the gated community and Hilo.

With all the angst over: community association board members ...

I suggest that part of the problem is that the community association is "private" and therefore not accountable. A township would (theoretically) be held to a higher standard, sunshine laws and all that.
It would kinda suck to have speed bumps every hundred feet all the way to hilo.
Update here on this Puna, Ka'u discrimination resolution.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2017/0...esolution/

I find it Hard to believe that this resolution has been rejected. How do others here on PW feel about this rejection?
It makes me think Jen did not shop the idea around and build concensus before the meeting. That is either a rookie mistake, or the bill was never intended to pass.

Sun Tzu says you should win first, and then go to war.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...e-analysis

While this graph shows West Hawaii paying about 70% of the property taxes, it doesn't illustrate valuation or revenue (West Hawaii has most of the hotels/resorts), it doesn't account for "externalized costs" (such as: workers who can only afford to live in Puna and ride the bus to Kona resort jobs), nor does it show infrastructure spending (roads, sewage treatment plants).

What we need is a serious audit, but since there's no competition, there's no reason for County to bother.
If this is what Ruggles is going to waste her time doing, I do not see a 2nd term for her.
Kapoho Joe, if it had been done right, it could have been an admission of responsibility from the county, further opening them up to a suit from Puna/Ka'u subdivisions to demand fair delivery of services and transportation routes.

I don't know if it could ever be done right, though, so perhaps it was just making a statement and you are correct...

Jen, are you lurking? Come talk to us punawebbers about your agenda.
While this graph shows West Hawaii paying about 70% of the property taxes, it doesn't illustrate valuation or revenue (West Hawaii has most of the hotels/resorts), it doesn't account for "externalized costs" (such as: workers who can only afford to live in Puna and ride the bus to Kona resort jobs), nor does it show infrastructure spending (roads, sewage treatment plants).
----------
West Hawaii pays more and gets more. Would those in Puna be willing to pay as much?