Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Protectors" and Their Momentum
I think one of the biggest problems is similar to what happens to communes when the population starts to mature: no resale value. You get a spot of land, work it, build on it, put your life into it, and then you have to walk away from it. Some communes (and HHL) allow for private sales to people who "fit" but for HHL there's no way to easily keep it in the family. But those market restrictions and lack of inheritance make long term prospects much less attractive.
Are the DHHL leases not 99 years in length?
Whatever length the leases are, it was made up. They can change it to fee simple. That would be a good demand of the nonexistent squatters/activists...

Cheers,
Kirt
They can change it to fee simple.
------
If they allow the land to br sold, eventually there will be no more Hawaiian Homesteads. It will end up in the hands of non-Hawaiians.
It's the same for my First People's land. It will go back to Tribal ownership upon my death. It's mine in name only and for a limited time as blood quantum decreases.
I have inherited from my Father, and am "owner" of 5% of 700 acres of Chippewa Land in Michegan. I cannot live there, sell or leave it to my children as I am the last in my line with enough Indian blood.
What I do get to keep is a piece of paper I get from the Department of Indian Affairs which says it's mine, for now.
Some Protectors were needed in Punalu'u recently.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2017/0...xcavation/

Unbelievable, thank God for the protectors that stood up to this bozo and his tourism dream. jmo
thank God for the protectors that stood up

Yes, I agree.
I only wish the Punalu'u Chapter of 'The Protectors' had been on Mauna Kea last year. In the video they carefully explained to the person excavating without permits or permission at Punal'u how his displacement of shoreline rocks was like moving their mother and father with a backhoe. If only those Punalu'u 'Protectors' might have been up Mauna Kea when thousands upon thousands of mother, father, grandparent, great-grandparent rocks were forcibly removed from their resting place on the mountain, then rolled and dumped unceremoniously and without permission or permits into the roadway.

Perfect citizens: Those who do not like cake, but have a passion for producing eggs, butter, sugar & milk.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Uh, local fishermen and a musician. Protectors...potato pohtahtoe, right?
HOTPE

Are you referring to the many rocks and boulders that the protectors had to roll onto the road or the rocks that the TMT heavy equipment machines were illegally moving?

Stones were also being kicked over and disturbed by Wally Ishibashi who was working for the office of Mauna Kea at the time.

The guy in the Punalu'u video who was doing the excavation work was down right disrespectful. He wanted to keep his work on the down low and was trying to bribe some local folks with free boat rides.

Do you think the DLNR, BLNR, and state new about this man's excavation work in Punalu'u?
Because lots of rocks wound up on the roadway, that's why.