Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restaurant Recommendations
Paolos was good, but I felt like I needed another meal after I left.....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
We had a Cobb Salad at Kaleo's last week after I asked 3 times where they got their lettuce. Two waitresses claimed it's from Cosco.
Didn't find any slugs . I inspected every bite anyway. ( Paranoid? Yes.)

The Indian place by Island Naturals is really good ! It's not really out of the way if you ever go to downtown Island Natch. It's where Dicks Coffee Shop used to be.
Hilo: 1)Kamana, 2)Cafe Pesto 3) )Ponds 4)Lucy's Taco 5) Suisan
Pahoa area: 1)Uncle Roberts Wednesday nights 2) Nings Thai 3)Kaleos 4) Grocery.
quote:
Originally posted by Durian Fiend

quote:
Originally posted by leilaniguy

Pineapples looks interesting, but NO PARKING! Anywhere near.

On street. Don't you feel like going for a stroll after driving to Hilo?

Well, you know, that neighborhood is not that appealing for a stroll. We like to keep our vehicle in sight. We've both lived here many years.
Jim,

First of all, congratulations!

Secondly, although I love Kamana for its Indian food, it's not a particularly romantic setting and wouldn't be my choice for such an event, but that's just me. Cafe Pesto would be my choice followed by Ponds and then Hilo Bay Cafe. Although the latter has a nice view, I don't think it is as good as it used to be in its old location.

If you can afford it and can get there, Kilauea Lodge in Volcano is excellent for special occasions and good food. It's quite expensive though (http://kilauealodge.com/restaurant/dinner/). It's also a place that if you call for a reservation and tell them it's a special occasion, they will help to make it special.
Thanks to all for the suggestions! We will be in Hilo/Puna for 16 days, so we will try a bunch of these restaurants!
TomK, you reminded me about the Lodge. We ate lunch there last summer, but we will have to try dinner also!
Volcano house with a sunset view of the crater is pretty special.
Yeah, I gotta second (third, forth?) Volcano House. Expensive but well worth it for a special occasion.
Kilauea Lodge's lunch prices are really reasonable. No more expensive than Ken's. LOVE their steak salad w/peanut dressing and the atmosphere is cool w/the old stone fireplace.