Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
water pump repair
Also, for the middle of the night switch issues, I've found that a sharp whack to the switch box with the back of a screwdriver generally gets you going for awhile. Sometimes for several days if necessitated by procrastination. I've nursed them along for a couple of months by whacking and filing when overcome by procrastinitus. It makes a lot more sense to just fix it.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I've been beating mine for five or six years now. Sometimes it starts acting up again a day or two later and sometimes I don't need to give it another whack for several months. I believe it's a well-known problem with a particular manufacturer although it's been so many years since my pump was installed I can't make out the name and have no idea where the manual is. It's still going though, it just needs persuasion every so often.

PS. Good to see you back on PW, oink!
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

I've been beating mine for five or six years now. Sometimes it starts acting up again a day or two later and sometimes I don't need to give it another whack for several months. I believe it's a well-known problem with a particular manufacturer although it's been so many years since my pump was installed I can't make out the name and have no idea where the manual is. It's still going though, it just needs persuasion every so often.

PS. Good to see you back on PW, oink!

Tom, is your pump all metal, except for the cover over the sitch which is plastic? If so, it is probably a Stay-Rite. I think that's the name. Most of the pumps out there now seem be going to plastics. The catchment place here in HPP still sells the old model Stay-rite.

Here is the Stay-Rite Jet. They fave other cast iron models also, and a newer plastic one:
http://www.sta-rite.com/ResidentialProdu...t_HNC.aspx

My old Stay-Rite cast iron pump, I'm pretty sure, was installed new in 1996 when the house was built. 22 years. If mine goes out, it'll be another Stay-Rite for me.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
So, how much air pressure does a pressure tank need to hold? You can add with a hand tire pump?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
See Oink's post 7/20 04:11 - answers this query, Jon

-dwajs
-dwajs
"I've been beating mine for five or six years now."

Uh... Can't... contain... sophomoric jokes... must... resist...
Well resisted, terracore! Jon - yes, it's all metal with a black plastic cover over the electronics. Sometimes I don't need to hit the switch, just squeezing the cover or trying to wiggle it gets it going again, but occasionally it needs a really good hammering.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK: Good to see you back on PW, oink!
Thanks, I do a drive by now and then.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I've been replacing pump pressure switches on the average of one every other month due to ants frying the contacts. I've replace 3 at the same house because they are too lazy to spread any fireant bait/poison. I keep a spare in the truck for them!! LOL

This post was a few years ago, so here's my question. Came home Wednesday eve and heard pump running. Odd, was a faucet left on all day? Checked faucet, no water; check catchment, floating weight was stuck, and sure enough, tank super low. Turned everything off. Waited patiently (2days) for water, flipped switch, pump on. Still no water. Have grundfos JPS2-A if that matters. What is my next move (I see many weren't working on pumps two years ago, still the case?). Where do I begin to troubleshoot?