Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014-2015 -- 56% of Big Island Coral Died
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

While it is entirely possible that the workers are being exploited -- someone should ask them how they feel about this...

As I understand some of the news stories, many of these workers have re-upped multiple times... do we need to ask them?

quote:
...the bigger problem is that the industry is exploiting loopholes to unfairly compete in the market: they don't have to pay minimum wage, or unemployment or worker's comp, or provide health insurance. How is that fair?
To paraphrase our past president Clinton (and, please God, may his memory fade ever faster) "Define fair..." Fair to whom? I would much rather see the money I spend go to a guy who is struggling to support his family than to a far more amply-paid guy struggling to make a payment on a new monster truck...

quote:
If it's okay to skip all the regulations "because offshore", then where's our exemption from the Jones Act? Freight barges are "offshore" too right?

Can't argue with that... it isn't fair to have a few coastal and island states be forced to pay the costs of maintaining a US-based maritime industry. Couldn't possibly argue otherwise. In this case, the unionized maritime industry has, for too long, been successful with their narrative, but the victim states don't have the clout to change things.

I take comfort in a quote, whose author I can't track down at the moment: "If the world was fair, few of us would escape hanging..." or some such.
much rather see the money I spend go to a guy who is struggling to support his family ... it isn't fair to have a few coastal and island states be forced to pay the costs of maintaining a US-based maritime industry.

Pick your subsidy. Ideally keep the money as local as possible.
Would someone please explain to me why we need to import fishermen?
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Would someone please explain to me why we need to import fishermen?

So their bosses can make more money than if they had to pay reasonable "living" wages to locals. Or, someone else would say, so you can eat reasonably priced fish. But that second line, imo, would probably be covering up the more money to the bosses line. And then there is the 'because no one in Hawaii wants the jobs' line. Which one do you believe?

I think the idea that because we can import someone from a drastically lower economy to do our "dirty" work here at what is locally substandard wages is a no-no when all is said and done. Facing the actual costs of doing business and paying "honest" wages is the first step towards creating a sustainable economy. Otherwise we are heading in the same direction as farming, and other industries, on the mainland that has relied on illegal immigrants. As soon as those immigrants become persona non grata the industry has to adjust anyways. And, given enough pressure, I think that's where Hawaii's fishing industry is heading.

Of course my whole argument falls apart if the fact is no one in Hawaii wants those fishing jobs. Is that the case?
Of course my whole argument falls apart if... no one in Hawaii wants those fishing jobs. Is that the case?

I don't know anyone who would work on a fishing boat.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
So their bosses can make more money than if they had to pay reasonable "living" wages to locals.

Just like when we import bananas from Ecuador. Then complain that there's no local jobs.

If gas was priced high enough to cover its actual cost, things would get local quick.
My two cents on this issue is that fishing jobs in Hawaii should be offered to residents of Hawaii. These fishing jobs are dangerous and hard working jobs that should pay a couple dollars an hour above the minimum wage or possibly by the catch. I know several locals and Hawaiians who own boats and others who help them, sometimes all night. A fuel break for fishing boat owners could be a nice state incentive to put more residents to work and off government assistance.

I also think many jobs on Papaya, coffee, and floral farms should be offered to Hawaii residents first at or close to the minimum wage. Maybe local farms who offer and hire local residents first to work their fields could receive postal, shipping or insurance breaks by the state or government for putting more residents to work and off assistance programs.
Unemployment and government assistance like EBT use is pretty high in Hawaii to begin with and even higher in counties like Ka'u and Puna which have both plenty of fishing and farming jobs. Time to look at ways to employ more residents with wages and incentives and less immigrants who take their money back home. jm2cents.

P.S. Hawaii needs to protect their remaining coral reefs by not allowing tourists to swim, snorkel or dive in or around these precious reefs. I have seen to many visitors handling and standing on the coral reefs, turns my stomach. Hawaii also needs to make sure reef fish are protected from aquarium farmers who are stunning Hawaii's fish with Cyanide which hurts the reef in more way's than one.

Check these articles out.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/15/scuba-diver...rium-fish/

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016...ral-reefs/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...e-fishing/

Reefs like Puako and Kapoho Hawaii on the big island have been getting raped for decades by Aquarium farmers and sun block wearing visitors.
http://www.marinesafe.org/blog/2016/03/1...pollution/
It's odd that this conversation is centered on the last two lines of the article which I almost didn't include in the quote because it seems irrelevant. I was much more concerned with the coral loss and the warming trends.
A fuel break for fishing boat owners could be a nice state incentive to put more residents to work and off government assistance.
=========
They already get a fuel break, IF they are fishing legally and paying taxes. They get to file for the federal and local gas tax paid as that tax is road use tax, which boats are not...
"Hawaii needs to protect their remaining coral reefs by not allowing tourists to swim, snorkel or dive in or around these precious reefs"

Let's make them wear a yellow star while we're at it, so they can be easily identified.