Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Hawaiian Sailors
Amazing what ladies might say and do when being rescued by Young and possibly handsome Navy men after several weeks in the open ocean.
----------

Ummmm.. not so sure that these ladies even like men...
not so sure that these ladies even like men...

Not that it matters one way or the other, but I too was under the impression the situation was a little less 'Thelma & Louise' and a little more 'Blue Is The Warmest Color.'
Like Rob pointed out earlier though, when (if?) you have a need to be rescued, any port in a storm, or ship on the high seas, crewed by whoever.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This smells like a modern version of the Brit sailor Donald Crowhurst story..... Crowhurst had entered the race in hopes of winning a cash prize from The Sunday Times to aid his failing business. Instead, he encountered difficulty early in the voyage, and secretly abandoned the race while reporting false positions, in an attempt to appear to complete a circumnavigation without actually circling the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst
Well the ladies got some attention and television time, and 2 pages on PT. Next topic?

It's really nothing like Crowhurst. He was an accomplished engineer and had done a lot of sailing. We'll never know what drove him to madness, but there is speculation that he started drinking sea water or his water tanks were brackish.

There are more details on the story now that Snopes picked it up.

https://www.snopes.com/2017/10/31/hawaii-rescue/

Appel, though, said she modified her sailboat, called the Sea Nymph, by adding six tons of fiberglass to the hull to make it thicker and heavier and extend the keel to a depth of 8.5 feet to give the boat greater stability. Similar vessels typically have a keel of 5 to 7 feet, she said. The extra-long keel meant it couldn’t get in to nearby harbors.

This is ridiculous. No novice could possibly add 6 tons of fiberglass or modify the keel like that. It's serious work and would cost more than the boat is worth.

The longer version of their trip is equally nuts. Mast rigging had some problems. Motored to an island, but kept going. Saying “Kiribati, um, one whole half of the island is called shipwreck beach for a reason,” she said. Which is wrong. Then they decided to set sail (how if the mast was "broken") for 1,000 miles for the Cook Islands (which is further than Tahiti!)

Insane.

Odds are they were tripping. (my earlier post). Behavior entirely consistent with use of hallucinogens. Perceiving a storm where there is no storm. And etc., etc.

(Someone veers all over the road no one has any problem with suggestion that they might have been drinking.)
LOL, first time I heard this was tonight.

The "six tons" HAS to be misquoted a-la-Chinese whispers. Or meant to be the keel + reinforcement + maybe some on "hard points". I did not study any photos with this in mind but I highly doubt the entire hull was, what amounts to being re-laminated. WOW , what a budget they had if they actually did this. someone got rich of they gullibility.

LOL Eric I know !! : ) 48 yards of 50" 1708 weighs 105 pounds. I wish I could get someone to pay me to use 6 tons to make a boat.
MarkD, I doubt they could carry a 6 month supply of drugs and not have used them up while being bored drifting all over. They appear sober whenever they talked on TV (several times now) including when they were on the Navy ship after being picked up.
Maybe it was six tons of hallucinogens in a false fiberglass hull? They just completed the biggest smuggling run in history, and had the navy pick them up at the end for the irony. Or it had leaked and contaminated all of their stores and they legitimately tripped for months!
You could be right, Eric. But when they first showed the two women being picked up at sea, the blonde women was a crack up. What ditzy, erratic behavior. The TV stations replayed the footage for about 3 nights. The more I saw her, the more I thought She's high as a kite.

(Hallucinogens are very compact. A container the size of cigarette pack can hold 2000 doses of LSD.)