Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tripadvisor revisited
One is a private company? The other is government?

Both "misrepresenting the truth" in order to protect their brands.

The private company is being investigated by the FTC, which is government?

Who investigates government? It's pretty clear that "will of the people" means nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tripadvisor (and their "experts") got sued by Kapoho vacation rental owners one day, the amount of unsubstantiated slurs they allow to be published.
Who investigates government? ... "will of the people" means nothing.

Yes, it's probably less like the circle of life, more like the
>>>> One Way, Dead End Road
of life, making us not Simba on a hill, but Eeyore plodding in the valley.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I post on the forum for the Big Island on TA a fair bit. I don't think I've ever had one of my posts deleted except one where I called KK by her first name (fair enough, I suppose, but I use my real name on that site - you guys can feel free to call me by my name here if you feel like it).

I don't have the energy or time to counter all the BS on there. When I do have time, I try to do it in a non-confrontational manner, just post my 'opinion' supported by bacterial count data from DoH:

http://emdweb.doh.hawaii.gov/cwb/wqd/viewer/Map.aspx

Their latest tirades are usually about "illegal" vacation rentals. I think the best idea there is to point out that special use permits allow variances to the zoning. They seem to really want everyone to stay at Mauna Lani. I wonder if they are affiliated in some way?

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Sometimes you don't need to go to Tripadvisor for nonsense. Some journalists will do the work for you. This popped into my inbox this evening.

https://www.femina.in/life/travel/discov...69992.html

"Mauna Kea is the highest and holiest spot on the Big Island – considered sacred in Hawai’ian mythology as a hangout of the gods. You’ll have to go on a 9km hike to the summit, but the views from the top are well worth the effort."

Now you know why I often post late at night. It's not because we tend to work at night and that's how my body-clock is set, it's because it takes such a long time to hike back home after a day's work.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

" You’ll have to go on a 9km hike to the summit"

LOL, Tom. Well, there IS a 10km trail from the Visitor's Center to the summit. I can't help but imagine some poor reader of that magazine making said half-day trek thru the cold and altitude before finally reaching... the parking lot. [Smile]
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/1...exist.html

Seems phony reviews are the business of Trip Advisor.

"A British journalist has turned an imaginary restaurant in his backyard into London’s most sought-after dining experience by writing fake reviews on TripAdvisor.

Oobah Butler, who specializes in deceiving his way into situations and then writing about it, wanted to expose the epidemic of fakery on the internet’s most trusted review site.

Butler had experienced the power of the site first-hand, having once earned a healthy living writing positive reviews for restaurant owners at $13 a pop."
Beat me to it - I read this doozy yesterday! Proof positive that T/A is a joke.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2...awaii.html

Well well well, I may have to give this another try! Please feel free to join me.
Thanks PaulW,
It looks like the reign of the queens of the hill may be over. These new rules especially caught my eye:

Please note that when participating in the forums, community members may:

- Disagree with fellow forum members, including comments that are sarcastic/snarky in nature and challenge the credibility of other participants (note: this is specific to our forums and does not apply to reviews)

Please refrain from reporting posts like the above as inappropriate. When other types of content is removed, our staff will review your reports and re-post content as necessary.

Kathy and Shea may be in for a rough new year. Not only will they presumably no longer be given the sweeping authority to block posts which disagree with them, they'll have to provide proof for their original comments, AND have to respond to posts that they can't just delete anymore. Something to look forward to in 2018.

"You all just got a lot richer." Donald Trump, Dec 23, 2017, speaking to friends, donors, and sycophants who could afford the $200,000 yearly membership fee at Mar-a-Lago.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves