Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax Sale properties
Mrs. Mimosa's example of this Hawaiian land ownership recovery is probably the only instance where Hawaiians can do anything like this.

The Hawaiians have had much land misappropriated. Against large corporations or rich landowners they stand little chance.
Just because the address is in Hawaii, does not mean the owner is Hawaiian.
There may be good deals, but the fix is in. You will see real estate flippers with some “ mystical source” of info jump on them.
she sued and after 4 years of litigation she got her home and land back.

Don't you get a clear title to the property after one year? How would it be possible to sue in a Hawaiian court to repossess a property with a clear title, filed at the Land Court?

The tax office mails two bills a year, plus an assessment for the next year to the last known address the owner leaves with them on file. The post office forwards mail for six months. One of those bills should automatically get forwarded. Even if it's not, my understanding is that it's up to the owner to furnish the tax office with an updated or changed address, even from prison.

Mrs. Mimosa, do you have any more details about how this person was able to repossess her property? What court did she use, or was it an out of court settlement between parties? Did she have to pay back the buyer for costs, expenses, and improvements over the four years they owned it? Plus pre-sale taxes and tax sale expenses? Plus 12%?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The Hawaiians have had much land misappropriated.
------------
Don't forget that those beloved kings and queens sold much of that land (that the common Hawaiian wasn't allowed to own) in order to enrich themselves.