Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spin Launch goes around in circles with Ka'u
As per TomK's link, they love them some "authentic frontier gibberish". They'd be better off skipping Hawaii after that. Hopefully they'll realize not everyone was represented in that room.
if there was more revenue and a diverse economy then property taxes wouldn't have to be the primary source for the county's revenue

Exactly -- and I would also like to see these expressed as a direct cost so that people can better understand what they're paying for.

Economic impact of TMT construction was estimated at $30M/year for 10 years. If the TMT isn't built here, us taxpayers get to make up the difference with higher taxes.

It's perfectly fine to reject all development/progress -- if that's what people really want, and they're willing to pay higher taxes to maintain their "country living".

Related problem: lack of granularity. Maybe people in Ka'u don't want progress, but people in North Kona do (case in point, Puna could really use more C-zoned real estate). Unfortunately it's all the same County, majority rule wins...
Quote;
"Hopefully they'll realize not everyone was represented in that room."

Hopefully they'll follow punaweb to experience the condescending and bigoted attitudes towards "The Defenders" (picturing the quotation marks gesture)
quote:
Originally posted by Eric1600

Hopefully they'll realize not everyone was represented in that room.

Actually, the room accurately represented the prevailing school of thought in Ka'u. 'Sugar screwed us so no more industry. Ever.'
snorkle, who are they defending and what are they defending against?

I think it's totally valid to want to preserve the good aspects of the Big Island, and avoid unintended consequences that industry might bring. But we have to have some progress, and some jobs, or there will be no future for our children here. Perhaps we need to vote on a mission statement for our island. Here's one:

"To preserve natural beauty and individual freedom, while adopting the best of new technology to improve our and our children's lives, and set an example for the rest of humanity."

Maybe Spin Launch would fit that definition, since their technology does not pollute like a rocket launch would?

In any case, can you really call your fellow punatalk members bigots with a straight face, after watching that video? At least people here are listening to each other and discussing things!
Snorkle, I can only assume you didn't watch the video. I think they were probably freaked out after being verbally attacked and have much worse things to say than what you'd find here on punaweb.
Snorkle, I can only assume you didn't watch the video.

Why should he watch the video about the people who wouldn't watch the presentation by Spin Launch representatives, before any of them launch (so to speak) into their own personal commentary?

It's the circle of life, here in Hawaii.

“Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Update: Congratulations to Spin Launch for their first successful test in New Mexico...

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/11/09/spin...ocket.html

It's a real shame we lost them.
Alternatively, they really dodged a bullet here.
Big Island missed an opportunity with Spin Launch.  The meeting by company officials with Ka'u residents was nothing more than a mob shouting into the room, without pausing to listen, probably making more noise than the Spin Launch kinetic launch system would ever make.

Spin Launch and the small rocket / small satellite launch site proposed on Shipman land would have brought the solid basis for the space industry to get a toehold here. It's the future and we could have been a part of it. Both were relatively unobtrusive, probably no more than the giant Air Force cargo plane pilot training runs that buzz Hilo and the vicinity.  Those two space launch businesses would have brought other related high tech operations. 

All cleaner and quieter than a sugar cane mill, the loss of which in Ka'u is mourned like a beloved family member.  Nothing like living downwind on a day the mill is burning cane, driving near an oversized haul truck, or having your home invaded by humongous cane spiders scampering for their lives when the fields are torched.  Good times.