Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Lava Viewing site
From my Hawaiian Language dictionary, Poki is a supernatural dog, the name was taked from Kamehameha I favorite dog....
There are some that say it was a white dog of Pele, & it is sent to mortals to warn of impending eruption :
http://www.goddessaday.com/polynesian/pele
There are dog shaped rocks on most of the islands called "Poki"
but I haven't found anything older than contact time on the dog... does anyone know if it is in any of the chants?
Glen... The flow has stopped, we were talking of bunnies online... maybe Pele is searching for her bunnies... Beware Bunnies!
you're right Glen..they need to be told no! The folks that were guiding the onlookers after the road officially opened were telling people don't throw rocks or sticks...i wish i had said something Tuesday night cause the folks lighting the sticks and fire dancing were to me just attention seeking as they were "performing" for those of us who just came to look and respect...not make a sideshow.....and the kids were literally slamming the rocks at the flow putting the fairly large crowd at risk in my opinion..that's why we walked away
Uh-oh. As Carey points out, Pele DOES have a dog. A white dog. A white dog that she sends to warn of eruptions. I guess if you capture the white dog, he won't be able to run around warning of eruptions. Still, I am pretty sure Pele got this dog before cars. This dog is probably 60,000 years old in dog years. My guess is that she would want the white dog protected from cars so it can warn people. Other people should avoid bringing white dogs into Puna so we don't get confused about which dog is the warning dog. My dogs are white, but are clearly marked with black spots as well, to distinguish them from Poki.

Hooligal. You have Pele's ear. Keep listening.

here is a link to the hawaiian legend of "Poki" and "Ku"
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/dogs/a/poki_and_ku.htm

if i'm not mistaken, i believe that he, poki, was also named "boki" and that john kaimikaula of moloka'i wrote a chant about the "dog god". also, i think his halau performed the dance at the merry monarch festival during the late 70's or early 80's. or, maybe it was at the prince lot hula festival or another dance competition in honolulu. sorry, it was so long ago i just can't remember.

malia paha o lohe aku

perhaps they will hear
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Well it looks like the lava is flowing again. This time I'm not going to miss out!

3/11/08 "A large breakout from the tube system was visible on the pali flowing through the Royal Gardens area with smaller breakouts on the coastal plain. Seismic tremor levels and sulfur dioxide emission rates continued elevated to several times background levels at Kilauea summit."

http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/hvostatus.php
Also from the HVO update:
"The County of Hawai`i has shifted viewing to a new area that offers good views of the Waikupanaha ocean entry. The viewing area open over the weekend allowed close views of active surface flows but none of the ocean entry."

This time I'm gonna be there, too!

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
has anyone gone in the past couple days?
Hooligal did you get my e mail?

sincerely,
your local lava worshiper
[8D]