Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the middle of buying lot in Black Sand Sub
HOVE is even further away from everything. If you think Hilo is a long drive...

It's been said that Black Sands has the worst mosquitos of the subdivisions.
Thanks HereOnThePrimalEdge.

Kalakoa, I'm from Alaska, mosquitoes don't bother me, and why would I want to go to Hilo? Hilo isn't my kind of place, Ive been there. Hove is close to captain cook, which I do like.
why would I want to go to Hilo?

I don't "want" to go to Hilo either, but that's where all the major retail, government services, healthcare, etc are located. The alternative is ghetto pricing, "urgent care" clinics, and your tax payments lost in the mail.
Try Wood Valley to Pahala for a look see.
Discovery Harbor may be a good fit for you.
Upper Wainaku is prime.
We still have a lot in Royal Gardens down in the flatland's with a yearly tax of 25 dollars.Under 580 feet of lava..
We recently sold in the last year most of our H.A. lots and bought 3 side by side lots on Rd 8 in H.A......
Built a spiffy H.P.M. home on the middle lot.2 of the lots 23K each and one lot was 35K - all cash.
When you do come down from Ak rent for a year minimum.
14K in Black Sands sub is steep .
Lots in H.A run from 14,500 to 23K off pavement .
You could not pay us enough to live in L.Z.1 or Black Sands Subdivision.
Born n raised here.
Mrs.Mimosa

14K in Black Sands sub is steep .
----------
Tru Dat.

I recently went to visit a friend in Black Sands - I was stunned at how many abandoned homes there are now, including junk cars, etc. Friend said that most of the people left right after the large earthquake in May. Subdivision is eerily quiet now.
Thanks for advice Mimosa, I'm going to check those places out. Those HPM homes look like a quite a bit more than I need, but very nice. Sorry about your Royal Gardens place, I can definitely see the reality of living in LZ1. Its nice to get info from someone like yourself that has a lot of experience with the area.

Leilanidude, thanks for the info on black sands subdivision.
"I'm from Alaska, mosquitoes don't bother me"

I had some friends visiting from Alaska that said the same thing. One walk through the woods and they quickly realized that what our mosquitos lack in size is more than made up for in numbers.
My 2 cents, thanks for the info. I have been through the woods in black sands sub. I walked two side-by-side raw land lots in the black sands subdivision and quite a few in HOVE. Maybe your friends were from the city?
Time of day has a lot to do with mosquitoes here... lots at dawn and dusk, but very few at mid-day, especially if the sun is out.
Thanks Lodestone, that makes sense. I appreciate all the advice and comments.