Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air conditioners and Amazon - 3 un/related topics
How do I change my username to Mayorcore ?
quote:
Originally posted by glassnumbers

What will I understand, Mr. Snippy Pants?

Aloha Smile

You’ll understand that you are a long long long way from being directly in the path of the emissions. Wink That said I have found that at a very low level of SO2 inhalation one does get a couch glue sort of buzz. Not licking a cane toad type of thing, but still somewhat of a cheap thrill.

(sorry for mixing threads)

Cheers,
Kirt
I guess I'll chime in here...

AC took a dump about 4 months ago...

Ordered a new one, a 200 lb 230 volt monster, I think it's 18K BTU, but also has a heat option. Don't really need the heat option (but maybe on those chilly nights).

Anyway... I paid the 30 dollar "EXPRESS" fee, figured it would be worth it. And WOW! Amazon is serious! FedEx showed up at the door with in TWO days, with this HUGE box of an AC UNIT, this was labeled as a Window AC, but clearly was a Through the Wall unit, that included the sleeve. The thing was like 12 inches of Wall clearance before the cooling vent slots kicked in, if yours was that thick, Mine was about 8" thick.

I even bought the insurance, but, what the heck, I guess, if it dies, maybe I'll get my $$ back, who knows. I think I saved about few hundred bucks, for this type of unit, as no one carries 230 Volt units that I could find. also saved a few bucks as the unit LG came with the sleeve. What impressed me the most was that they got it to me in 2 days of a HUGE monster AC unit without damage whatsoever. Works great and keeps the temps at 70 / 72 degrees even with a huge thread ripper 32 core pc churning 24/7 at 100% load (it's like a 400 watt space heater).
Thank you terracore for doing all the research.I was able to order the Whirlpool unit.

I had been having trouble finding a unit that they would ship to Hawaii.
Ericlp, are you winning crypto or racking up frags with your 32 core PC at 100%?

Knieft, thank you for telling me that! I've checked out two different windmaps which seemingly put Naalehu and Discovery Harbor directly in the path, but the air here is generally clean, and you've lived here longer than I have. I appreciate the education!

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
32 cores oh my. How many GPUs are they feeding?
32 cores + 18K BTU at HELCO rates?
I got the Whirlpool unit today. I haven't installed it yet but I plugged it in to make sure it works before buying the stuff I need for the retro fit (horizontal sliding windows with a vertical window unit) and was impressed with how much and how cold the air was coming out of it.
Installed the unit, hooked to solar, and ran it on high. 2000 watt inverter didn't even ramp the fans up for the starting load on the compressor. Granted it's not hot out, but it had no problem cooling the room and sucked the humidity down to 55% in just a few minutes. Couldn't run it for long due to heavy cloud cover. This unit will probably take the sting out of those hot sunny days and it will be nice to close the house up and dry it out every now and then.

I wouldn't mind adding another unit to the other end of the house if it turns out that in full sun there is enough power to run them both. I was glad to see the start up load was a non-issue.