Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frequent Flyer miles
quote:
Originally posted by julieb

I can't find an ATM that will take a deposit to my mainland credit union account. I have tried the two banks in Pahoa, the Hawaii CU in Pahoa, and the ATM in Malama Market. They are all willing to give me cash but have no option for making a deposit. Any suggestions?
Contact your credit union and ask them for the names of financial institutions that they have ATM agreements with for deposits. With that, you have to hunt for an ATM affiliated with that financial institution. ATM's are owned by financial institution (they are not public) some being banks, others Credit Unions, and many by private ATM companies. The owner of the machine determines what transactions from other financial institutions they will accept and at what price. That's why you can have an account with One Horse Bank In Smalltown USA and make deposits and withdrawals for free at a Big Name Global MegaBank’s ATM in China, but can't make a deposit or can't avoid a high withdrawal fee at the Lame Horse Bank in Smalltown USA located right across the street from your bank. It's by agreements.
Thanks, Bob Orts, especially. My CU belongs to the CO-OP Financial Services network and their website is giving me 2 ATM locations in Hilo that will take deposits. Now I haven't tried yet but that's more than I had yesterday!
Make sure a particular ATM or retail location is a "DEPOSIT" location. Not every ATM or retail location within networks can accept a deposit for another institution. Funny, they will give you money, but can't accept it.[:0]

I did a bit of checking and the Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union in Honoka'a is a deposit location for the CO-OP Financial Services network member institutions. You can make a deposit at that location for credit to your local Credit Union on the mainland. I would call them to verify. The others appear to be fee free withdrawl locations, but can't take deposits.
Julie, we had to make our Mainland credit union deposits by mail. Never found a way to do it from here. Remember, Hawaii thinks it is a different country and just doesn't make the convenience reciprocity agreements most other states do (not only in banking but in licensing and many other areas).

That said, we opened CU Hawaii, pay no fees, have online bill pay and love the Keaau branch... coffee shop, play area for kids, free internet access....

Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"