Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court approves TMT sublease
Not sure how it might be brought about but first the state gives the go ahead, then "protectors" block the road, then the police demonstrate willingness and ability to control the situation, and only then is it reasonable that the TMT folks commit.
spineless in the face of blatant lawbreaking

That's a locals-only privilege. Haoles are still prosecuted.
I would love to see dozens of "protectors" hauled off to jail

There is a recent precedent. Last year on Maui when protestors attempted to stop delivery of a component for the solar observatory on Haleakala, six were arrested. One protestor even tried to wedge himself under a flatbed. The convoy was delayed a few hours, but the part was delivered, and construction continued.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/36022...haleakala/

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE - I'm not sure the Maui situation is comparable. It's expected that any protest on Mauna Kea will be much larger and better organized. There is also considerable skepticism that the authorities will do any better than last time.
I'm not sure the Maui situation is comparable.

Certainly there are many variables, and probably more differences than similarities between construction on Haleakala & on Mauna Kea. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic that once every legal challenge to the TMT has been reviewed and decided, police and DLNR agents on Big Island will have no excuses which conveniently allow them to overlook regulations and ordinances, as they did during the previous protests. There will be no more doubt, no more benefit of the doubt. They seemed to relish the opportunity to uphold the letter of the law in lower Puna during the lava flow.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Wanna help move things along? Start by voting R.
"Start by voting R."

Have to get the Trump disaster under control first.

Not sure how to express this but it would be a whole 'nuther level of flustercluck on the part of the state and county to give the go-ahead only to have it bog down again. The first time they could make the argument that "the people spoke and we listened". Next time it will be clear that they are just the protesters' bitches. Mere arrogance and self consciousness will work in our favor.
The impression I got from the TMT talk I mentioned was there is more concern about protests rather than the Supreme Court decision. I know the TMT has had extensive talks with local authorities, all the way up to the Governor, but it was clear the TMT management had little confidence in them.

Now it becomes complicated. Mauna Kea is a significantly superior site compared to La Palma which is why the TMT wants to be here. La Palma, on the other hand, offers far fewer obstacles to overcome for construction. Then again, it's possible one or two TMT partners will withdraw from the partnership if the TMT is not built here. On the other hand, if the court decision goes against them, or more likely in my opinion, protests prevent construction, then I suspect they will shift to La Palma as soon as they can.
Hey Tom,
How about we start the Mauna Kea mountainhood watch. This would dovetail with the rangers on the Mauna. They would carry megaphones and cameras. The megaphones ( tuned to a legal db level)to tell the protesters to disburse ( more than 9 persons)and cameras to catch the persons breaking the law (building ahus in the road,blocking the road,using there cell phones for non emergency purpose ). And a back up protector crew, protecting the mauna mhw crew with wip cream spray,and water spray bottles ( to cool of angry protesters,and ourselves )
If things get out of control, Than no need for a police presence?

There are laws to enforce,we as the public should help enforce them if our elected officials
Wont.

I bet we could get hundreds of STEM kids up the mauna,to have a anti-anti TMT rally?( in 9 person groups of course)
Would that work?

I will contact STEM ,and TMT to find out. I want to be able to enjoy my Mauna again.

Its like
A hood has taken over my neighborhood ,and wont let me go outside,do to the fear they
Project.

I should not have a fear to go up the mountain,should I?
I have since the hawaiian sovernty movement made it uncomfortable
To visit the Mauna.

All the above is my personal opinion.
Aloha

HPP

HPP
I understand your feelings, Dan. Unfortunately, the VIS staff and volunteers took the brunt of the intimidation tactics of the protesters last time around. We even got to the situation where MK staff were threatened with violence and calls to 911 resulted in no response from the police.