Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When will the County replace inundated roads?
hope the officials will do whats right..

What is right?
hope the officials will do whats right..
What is right?

What is precedent?
County officials approved subdivisions and sales of property. County officials required purchasers and builders and homeowners to follow all of the rules set down by the County Building Department. County collected taxes on the properties based on use and accessibility.

If County wishes to change their compliance in their own legal process, shouldn't they at least be required present an acceptable alternative to property owners? Is doing nothing a viable and reasonable option based on their prior actions? (relating to property ownership in lower Puna, not almost everything else they do)

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE, thank you!!

Dan D, I will keep calling and writing our officials.
HOTPE. That's a good point. That angle could make a case, for the landowners, that the State/County be liable to provide access. I'm wondering at what point will common sense prevail and they'll at least make a rough access road so people can get back into that giant Kipuka.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
I'm wondering at what point will common sense prevail

Based on comments here I imagine the definition of what is common sense can vary quite a bit. Who's version should we follow?
Me thinks Glinda does protest to much!
quote:
Originally posted by waawaawah

Me thinks Glinda does protest to much!

Absolutely. I agree 100%. Way too much.

And asking whose idea of "common sense" might be considered "common sense" is the last straw. OMG that is just going too far. Take her account! Hang her from the highest server! Burn her at the keyboard! I mean come on, we can't allow such rabble-rousers to post here. Think of the children. They must be protected from such blasphemy!
kimo wires - That angle could make a case, for the landowners, that the State/County be liable to provide access.

Ah the murky realm "property rights of access" - is the County/State liable to provide or re-establish access? To what standard? On what timeframe? Who has enough money to have the lawyers hash it out? It took 15+ years to remake the road to Kalapana Gardens - a lawsuit may take nearly as long.

Most likely the Red Road to Pohoiki will be usable within a year, but getting a road back into Kapoho may be put off for many more (all the while being planned and studied so there is no direct taking of property rights involved, but still monies being spent). Slow and steady wins the race for contracts.
I wonder how "land locked property" laws may come into play?
"It took 15+ years to remake the road to Kalapana Gardens "

There is a difference, there were no houses left out there and the eruption was ongoing.
There are hundreds of homes that are isolated but in good condition that were accessed by county and state roads.Of course many of those homes are being vandalized and looted every day.