Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fabric Made From Volcanic Basalt
BC its the right thing to do Tom.
.. U know it, take notes and stop playing the the helpless victim.
Keep saving Tomk. I am more than happy that u want it preserved.

Maybe now you can add something about Basalt to the discussion next from ur perspective instead of hiding out.
FWIW dear punawebbers . I am using the same words and MO as Tom does here to others when he decides he is the only one who is right or holds the moral high ground. If there is no argument or anything else only makes him look worse. He and others here will resort to ad hominem attacks or even stoop to disecting spelling in lieu of an intelligent and apropos counterpoint. They alone have been responcible for driving people off this forum.

Eh rob, why not time out the 2.5 petty spelling police/bullys for once and get some fresh air back in here?
Hawaii is known for being anti-business and there are obvious examples of this. It also seems to be anti-technology, again, there are numerous examples. This thread seems to emphasize both.

I don't know the ins and outs of using basalt to produce fibers although it seems the technology appears to exist and we have more basalt than you can throw a stick at. But when I ask why it can't happen here, the reasons seem to be:

1) Pam will think I'm being coy;

2) "u projection";

3) Something about two old makes of a car;

4) "."

5) Posting and then deleting posts is the right thing to do;

6) I should stop playing the victim;

7) I'm hiding out unless I post something about basalt.

I recommend RWR runs for a position in the County Council. He'll fit right in. Information goes in, nonsense emerges.
To try and bring the discussion back to civil, and hoping nobody jumps on me......

Making basalt in Hawaii would make sense, and profits, only IF the concrete industry in Hawaii embraces it, and uses it. Far as I know, only the rebar version of basalt is recognized by building codes and has all the associated structural calculations figured out, etc. That's a start.

Having used basalt mesh, I think it can transform the way small/medium slabs, and sidewalks are constructed. Wish I knew how to make that catch on in a big way.

I suppose it's possible there is a market for it in Asia, but they got their own basalt deposits all over the place. No point in making it here and shipping to North America, where it's already being made.
I'm understanding RWR's and Tom's different point of views here but I see this "thread" (pun intended) has turned to petty back and forth instead of talking about the topic.

But going back to the topic: The basalt threads seem like they may have some very practical uses:

They used to make "jackets" that wrap around your large tank style water heater, (for those without Paloma style heaters) and the old ones were made of fiberglass and not completely fireproof. Basalt seems like a great idea here.

Or maybe firefighters might benefit from a suit made from the material?
Its to bad Hawaii is to myopic to see the forest through the trees. This is just one of many up and coming industries that could create jobs... and useful products.

http://basalt.today/topics/solutions-en/
you need cheap power to manufacture something like that

Wholesale PGV rates (assuming PGV were operating, and you could buy power from them without paying HELCO for transmission) are still higher than mainland hydro power.

A focused solar array would probably be hot enough, but that would require a big empty piece of land where the sun shines, and no matter where that might be, the people who live there would object to "industrial use" despite the economic advantages.

TL;DR: Basalt-based technologies are interesting. Manufacturing will not happen in Hawaii.
HOTPE: "This could be beneficial for residents of Big Island in many ways. It could provide an endless source of local building material..."

Good idea, but if it's sold here there will soon be a market to the mainland. This constitutes removing rocks from Hawaii.

No can do!

We don't allow newly extruded lava rocks to be taken, which, as we know, is a precious material in short supply on Hawaii island. Why allow basalt rock to be taken?

It's both desecration, according to native Hawaiians, and harms our environment, according to land use regulators.