Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Water Bottling Plant in Hilo Proposed
"My fave was Mr. “nobody knows how much water there is in the solar system” (second last speaker)."

That was special - the guy with the big hair? It starts at the 47:20 mark in the video. I watched the whole thing and still haven't any idea what he was saying. If he'd stuck to plastic being bad he might have made some sense, but I couldn't follow his diatribe about water and where it comes and goes.

quote:
Originally posted by glinda and modified by lining out the word "that" by poster.

plastic, that should be banned entirely.

"Insanity" encapsulated into a single phrase

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

Hilo can find all sorts of other industries if we want. No need to add to the planet's woes just to make a buck.

Probably not, because people like, well....YOU, will be "against it" as well. Bottom-line it, and people who think like that are against the human race being human, i.e capable of modifying our environment to our betterment.

quote:

...trash that is choking the planet.

Please explain exactly how the planet is choking. Remember, choking is a terminal state of affairs if not remedied, so I assume you think that the planet will be dead shortly, OR...you are just using hyperbole, instead of truth, to scare people out of their lifestyle.

One suggestion, if I may. How about speaking rationally and factually when promoting your point of view, assuming you wish to be taken seriously.

quote:

Like what...

Well.. I think anything that involves a lot of transportation of materials, either the raw stuff coming here or the manufactured stuff going away is a no no. Hawaii is too far away from anywhere else to make sense as a manufacturing center. Even agriculture, because of its outdated methodology, is taboo because of the cost of bring in nitrogen.. outdated because we have so much of it around that is not being utilized.. and, again, shipping stuff to other markets.

But high tech, especially the software that runs it, is a major industry and the fact that our government has not done anything to attract someone like Apple or Google or some other major employer of programmers baffles me.

If we had a vision we could make UH Hilo a major computer science learning center, without taxing the environment one bit. With the right vision we could entice a big player to invest in, and build a campus here. We could be world class without a lot of silliness like a bottling plant that uses a material, plastic, that should be banned entirely.

And for those that say OMG it will be bottled somewhere else if not here. Gee.. that took a lot of thinking eh? Well do a little more and come up with something that doesn't create trash that is choking the planet. It really can't be that hard.

Ever city I have been in says they same about high tech do you really think Hilo could really compete wit the mainland in this? Why come here where the cost of doing business is twice the cost. I am sure someone opposed this to

jrw
jrw
The internet related industries are hard to see as especially environmentally friendly.

Actually, according to Manta

https://www.manta.com/mb_43_G2_12/comput...are/hawaii

there are 481 Computer Software companies in Hawaii. I am part of one, and my "footprint" if you will, is no more than someone that has a computer to surf the web and post on internet forums.

But hey, I am sure someone will find fault in that too.

As to plastic.. I stand by what I said, the stuff should be banned. Anything that lasts longer than it's use without a direct means to get rid of it should be. And, in case someone wants to cry about that, last night 60 minutes did an informative piece on an alternative that's currently in development..

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marshall-me...0-minutes/

I find it odd that someone would stand up and say their lifestyle is threatened when others suggest what they are doing causes harm. You have to be seriously insensitive to the world around you to suggest your "lifestyle" choices are more important than the wellbeing of the planet.
there are 481 Computer Software companies in Hawaii

How many are outside Oahu and/or don't require security clearance?

How many sole proprietors are running "below the radar" because a home-based business (with no signage nor visiting clients) still requires County permits?

Companies are leaving San Francisco because it's too expensive... HRS 237-29.53 is a nice gesture, but it's not really enough to attract business.

"Please explain exactly how the planet is choking"

Are you being intentionally pedantic, or do you really not grasp the concept of metaphor ?

"in 2015, of the nearly seven billion tonnes of plastic waste generated, only 9% was recycled, 12% incinerated, and 79% accumulated in landfills or the environment" - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...nvironment
quote:
my "footprint" if you will, is no more than someone that has a computer to surf the web and post on internet forums.

But hey, I am sure someone will find fault in that too.

It's not that we find fault, it's just we don't see any particular merit in it. You obviously think it makes you "special", but most people don't. You flatter yourself unduly.

quote:
As to plastic.. I stand by what I said, the stuff should be banned.

Again, insanity on display in the format of a single phrase.

quote:
I find it odd that someone would stand up and say their lifestyle is threatened when others suggest what they are doing causes harm.
[\Quote]

Such dishonesty you spew. You didn't say that our lifestyle "cause(s) harm". You said plastic should be BANNED, which would shut down much of civilization. Own it, bub, 'cause it came from your keyboard.

[Quote]
You have to be seriously insensitive to the world around you to suggest your "lifestyle" choices are more important than the wellbeing of the planet.

More dishonesty in the form of a strawman. Nobody (except you) said that. BTW, the planet has no wellbeing. It is not a creature, and your attempt to humanize is is just more intellectual dishonesty.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Lutes

"Please explain exactly how the planet is choking"

Are you being intentionally pedantic, or do you really not grasp the concept of metaphor ?

"in 2015, of the nearly seven billion tonnes of plastic waste generated, only 9% was recycled, 12% incinerated, and 79% accumulated in landfills or the environment" - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...nvironment

I'll give you a shot at it. How does that amount to the planet "choking"!