Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Thieves
That's pretty scary to see. I can't imagine what's going through some people's head sometimes. Too bad the camera didn't have a zoom. He gave you a perfect shot of his license plate.
Did you ever show the video to the police? It might let them know who to investigate for other incidents.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
hey big island, did you have a sign that says warning electric fence or something of the like that kept him out?
From a friend who is a retired Puna vice cop

"They will drive up, cut the driveway chain, shoot the dog, and take anything that they can sell for any amount of money. They prefer HPP and similar areas because the acre and spotty development provides privacy."

We have a large dog that was probably sleeping on the lanai. She might of started barking, one can only guess as to what was going through these peoples minds.
We did get a copy of the video to the Keaau Sub Station. The only signs on the gate are a "No Trespassing" and our "Alert Alarm" sign.
No electric fences [:0]

Damon if your interested you can take a tour of the setup I use here
http://www.wilife.com/Default.aspx
Motion Lights work very well used in conjunction with the outdoor camera.
Probably the best advise was stated earlier, know your neighbors and watch out for each other, fencing and dogs along with strong gates and a video surveillance system and alarm system. The cameras have been running nonstop for over a year now and I have no complaints. They do have a zoom feature but its manual and you have to actually use the tilt/pan/zoom button while its recording and we were not home at the time. Its a motion based system and we have it set up to send a text message and a picture of whatever triggered the recording to our cell phone when we are away from the house.

Its a shame we have to do any of this to protect our property.
Beau S.

quote:
Originally posted by hooligal

quick question - anyone with dogs had a robbery occur? We're hoping that dogs will be enough of a deterrent before we start shopping CCTV.

How many not specially trained dogs will resist a god steak?)):
I would need to see the actual footage of the above mentioned youtube clip. There was a bunch of edits in this youtube clip.

Good thing you are looking out for yourself though. Is the "Raw" footage still available? It might tell more of a story.

-------
The more we speak up... the more they will listen.
its not actual edits. The system is motion based. When it senses motion, it records for a specified amount of time. The editing your seeing is where it stopped recording after 5 seconds of not detecting motion and resumes when motion is again detected. Those are all the recorded segments.
[quote]Originally posted by Greta

From a friend who is a retired Puna vice cop
"They will drive up, cut the driveway chain, shoot the dog, and take anything that they can sell for any amount of money. They prefer HPP and similar areas because the acre and spotty development provides privacy."
[/quote
That is EXACTLY what the cop told me when I filed my report about the stolen areca palms.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

One afternoon last December, hubby took our dog for a daily ride and left the gate open. Our neighbor dog, Jimmy came afterward and was sleeping at the carport. I was in the kitchen having tea, a similar white truck pulled in thru the gate but back out because of Jimmy's lound bark. He then stopped his car at the corner of the lot, wait a few seconds then honked. I don't know if he saw me thru the open front door or what, he suddenly left. I can't say for sure if it was the same guy but close.
Since then, the gate is always close, and locked when going out, even just to walk the dog. We live in HPP.

val