Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning the Future - Coal
JDirgo -

Don't know if it was talked about here in Hawaii... From what I have read, it wasn't discussed as Wheelabrator folks really didn't want to even begin to talk about any alternatives to their crap.

I did find the following snippet out of Ottawa.

"...Nor do we know how much it would cost to build a full-scale facility comparable in size to the Wheelabrator. Of the two, the Plasco technology is being lauded as superior with the least environmental impact."

-------
Moved
MarkP, funny you should mention it,OTEC was originally developed in Kona at NELHA natural energy labs! A massive pipe was sent down some thosands of feet deep, sucking up cold water and making electric with the temperature differential! It was deveoped by UH professors at massive taxpayer cost!

Actually the pilot plant worked well for a few years, then it experienced biofouling, reducing the output drastically! But rather than fix the problem, the UH profs had set up numerous little scam businesses growing fish, they were termed "milkfish" projects, and were like a holiday in Kona for students and faculty! The electric was given up on, and the state has been carrying numerous business ever since!

But the best part is the UH, finally sold a license for the technology to a new company who is willing to use it (and are)! The UH must of got rid of their useless Economic Profs!
Gordon J Tilley

The more I think about this, the more pro-geothermal I become.

In the politico-enviromental debate, throw this into the equation: Visualize an oil tanker coming apart off the shores of Hawaii.
Then continue the conversation.

Dan
To address a point made earlier:

I spoke with Paul Campbell local chapter head of the Sierra Club. Paul says that the Sierra Club is supportive of Puna Geothermal and would generally welcome expanded geothermal production. The bad old days are over and the plant in Puna is a clean running machine for the most part.

There is apparently geothermal potential in Waimea too. As yet unexplored.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob, everything I've talked about geo I've researched, and was surprised with the vitriol from others here, as if the obvious solution is poison!

The obvious solution is better wiring,but if expansion is allowed to increase to full coverage, how about isle wide underground conduits that can manage the extra load! We could probably get a lot of federal aid, paricularily if it could be tied to Pohakaloa Training area! Dan Inouye is getting the military appropriations chair shortly, so if sold to uncle Dan, miracles could happen! If we could remove HELCO from the equasion, and promote electric vehicles due to much cheaper rates!
Otherwise HELCO is going to strangle this island, other places don't ge t gouged like we do, and we need help!
Plus like in New Zealand, Hawaiian organisations could get niche pieces of the operation! Everyone could be better off!
I've heard Haleakala backside is also possible (last eruption only 200plus years ago. and remote from civilisation!)
The Waimea side would probably be Huualalai, which erupted not much over 200 years ago! I don't think property owners would be too happy with such, the possibility of Puna property values would be a bit of a downer!
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

To address a point made earlier:

I spoke with Paul Campbell local chapter head of the Sierra Club. Paul says that the Sierra Club is supportive of Puna Geothermal and would generally welcome expanded geothermal production. The bad old days are over and the plant in Puna is a clean running machine for the most part.

There is apparently geothermal potential in Waimea too. As yet unexplored.

Thank you Rob for setting that straight! I appreciate getting the correct info as opposed to the rumors I heard.
Rob and Kapohocat,

From the Hawaii Sierra Club Website it specifically states:

On their Agenda:

Permanently derail geothermal development in Wao Kele O Puna and continue to strengthen regulations regarding geothermal exploration.

-------
Moved
Damon, your webpage had a reference to Patsy Mink, and the latest date I found was 1996, you might reload the page or find a more current one! If they have any sense at all , 10 years with minimum problems 5 years with no problems, kind of a good record I'd say!
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

Damon, your webpage had a reference to Patsy Mink, and the latest date I found was 1996,....

I can't help it if they don't change their site [8D]

gt - can you show me a site where it says the Sierra Club is Supporting Geothermal in PUNA in particular?

-------
Moved
Hawaiian Public Utilities Commission Ruling Opens Hawaiian Islands to BluePoint Energy and Distributed Generation Energy Market

......."Cogeneration, or combined heat and power (CHP), is widely recognized as one of the most efficient, environmentally sensitive and economical forms of energy production available today"......

Looks like BluePoint may be able to help consumers here in Hawaii.

-------
Moved