Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Air expands operations to Kona International Airport
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-pos...-ascarelli

Looks like they are raising their own money.

U.S. Postal Service to raise prices on commercial packages, starting Oct. 18
Hawaii doesn’t need the additional funding?

The way I interpret it, and this is only my opinion based on limited information, is that Hawaii's mail-in voting may not be affected as much as other states.  I have noticed an occasional mail delay between Honolulu and Hilo which usually travels overnight, so there may be other behind the scenes operational procedures which have been affected.

The big problem for Hawaii USPS customers is that our service depends on the interconnected system with other post offices and sorting centers around the country that are impacted.  Especially for residents with prescription drug plans that mail their medications like insulin (many because of an insurance plan requirement).
The Washington Post today listed 46 states that will have problems with prompt delivery this fall which included Hawaii, but added this:
The USPS did not offer serious warnings to the five states that have long conducted universal vote-by-mail elections — Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-...1_story.html
We have drop boxes here as well. If less than a week from the election just drop them in the box and avoid USPS altogether...
Has anybody actually had delays with shipping machine sort-able flats (letters, bills, postcards, NOT packages or thick envelopes of any kind)

I worked for the USPS when the UPS workers went on strike. All the other package carriers (FedEx, DHL, etc) quit accepting new customer applications leaving USPS as the only alternative for UPS customers. The USPS was able to quickly scale up and handled all of UPS's packages. (Also the reason why FedEx stopped taking new customers was because the USPS is their #1 customer, they were going to get the same packages regardless under existing contracts).

My packages are all delayed now, have been since the start of COVID, but the first class letters (like ballots) have been shipping exactly the same as before. This seems like a nothingburger when it comes to elections, and I feel like there are just political agendas at play.
My wife ordered a few books last Sunday night on Amazon, they processed that order on Tuesday and it left California that night arriving in Kona at 1 am Wednesday and was available at 11 am at the Keaau Post Office that morning! Huge improvement!

In June we had an Amazon order which was available for pick up at the Keaau Post Office, but they literally couldn’t find it for over two weeks while I waited in line four times trying to pick it up.
I ordered some veterinary medication from Australia.
It was ordered on June 20, shipped June, 21. Then per tracking, It arrived at LAX on June 29 to go through customs and enter USPS.
8 days to arrive in the US and 47 days to get from LAX to Pahoa.
I blame Trump's sabotage of the USPS, and the reduced air traffic between the mainland and Hawaii and between islands due to the epidemic.

I had ordered some Rx medication from Canada. It had been back ordered for a month or two, then finally shipped Aug, 6.

Both were carried while in the U.S., and delivered by USPS.
They both arrived on Aug, 15, the Canadian order after only 9 days in transit.

I had stopped all online ordering until those imports worked themselves out.
Now that Amazon has begun air service to B.I., and all standing orders have been filled, I will try another Amazon order.
I expect delivery times to improve due to the air service directly to B. I. and the outcry over Trump's sabotage off the USPS.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
I ordered a part from Australia and it cleared LAX customs over 70 days ago.  I ordered it over 100 days ago.  At this point I consider it a lost cause.  Unfortunately the merchant is fighting against giving me a refund.  I guess they didn't buy insurance for the shipment and think I should be the one to pay for their mistake.  The first rule of being a successful online merchant is that you are not selling "things", you are selling things delivered. 
Just made an attempt to place a new Prime order with Amazon.
I've been getting the feeling they've been getting a lot sleazier the last few orders I've placed.

Realizing that It has been a while since my last order with them, I stopped just before actually authorizing it to look it over.
It was for a single $225 item.
They added $20 for shipping, plus another $15 for tax.
I expected the tax to be added, not the shipping, no explanation, no warning.
I cancelled the order, then replaced, it to check it out.
It was still up to about $260, and had no free shipping option available I could find on the order page.

This is not the first time I've felt that they're trying to bait-and-switch me.
But, it does seem to be happening much more often now days.
Caveat Emptor.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
There have been a few times where they tried to charge me for Prime shipping. I was always able to get a resolution though their customer service chat feature.

One time FedEx attempted delivery of a microwave ordered on Amazon that was sopping wet. They had used a roll of tape to try and reconstitute the box as much as possible but I remembered something about electricity and water not liking each other, and adding that to a radiation producing device just seemed like a bad idea, so I refused the delivery. When I went to get a replacement Amazon was no longer selling that particular microwave and the customer service agent was steering me towards buying it from a 3rd party seller, but were all either more expensive and/or had no free shipping.

English wasn't their first language so I had a tough time explaining why all their options were not acceptable to me, but I think they thought I was raising hell over some perceived injustice. They wound up ordering a microwave from a 3rd party seller but charging me the original amazon price, gave me a refund for shipping, plus gave me an additional $100 "customer service gesture" credit on my account. Their original "offer" was that I would pay the higher price plus shipping BUT they would reward me with a free month of Prime. Uh... no. Somehow that turned into getting a replacement sent out plus a $100 credit.

Was it a happy ending? Meh... The microwave died a month after the extended warranty expired. It was the last "over the range" microwave I'd ever buy. They cost like $300 when I only need a $60 microwave. Since they are all disposable nowadays there is no point in spending the extra money. I wound up mounting a stainless steel shelf over the range and put a $60 microwave on it. And there is enough room for the air fryer. For $16ish I was able to buy and install undercabinet lighting for it. Looks nice and costs less.
I don't know if it's the new jet service or what but most of my Amazon packages get to Hilo in about 3 days now.

Unfortunately my last two trips to the PO required nearly 30 minute waits so I only go once a week now. The first 20 minutes were outside getting cooked by hot and humid August days with the full sun reflecting off the parking lot and cars directly onto The Line of people. If it gets another 10 minutes longer I'll need to address my hydration requirements before committing to The Line.