Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appliances
Punacat,
I once had a rent car in OKC that wound-up being a mid-size truck. Maybe one of the car rental agencies has trucks for rent. If mine was bigger I'd give you a hand but it won't hold everything you will need. Anybody out there w/ a big truck free on the 18th? Good luck and enjoy the thrill. And like I told Ms Mella, when you get so frustrated you want to cry (living here, it will happen on occasion) just L-O-L and dance like a maniac 'cuz YOU are living in paradise and the scardy cats are still spinning in place! There, I said it and I stand behind it!! pj

$60 for delivery - on top of spending thousands for the actual appliances. Everybody's got to get a piece of the action, don't they? Ya, I'm leaning towards just heading to Sears and handing over my charge card.... Seems like it would be the best bet. Let them gather up some brawny guys to bring it all out at once. I'll be on my own for a while, and not about to put my back out before the movers come! I'm sure I'll be whining by mid April to be sure!!!! Smile But I'd rather be hurting in Puna, than anywhere else on earth!

Thanks for the idea tho', Buzz - I think I will pick out a few things and give them a call. It would be nice to get a little a head of the game.

Wish me luck!!!!!!!!
Cat

Aloha PunaCat,

There is an interesting spot in Honokaa which has nice appliances. They are called "Sauces and Propane" (also ScotchiWorld). They have rather a messy yard since the guy likes to collect stuff for himself and lets other folks consign things such as bath tubs and such. They have some really nice very energy efficient refrigerators and some nice stoves and barbeques. They aren't a huge shop, but Pete has nice stuff and he has about as much character as his shop does.

Otherwise, check the classifieds. I think the Hawaii Herald Tribune has an online classified, too, so you can "shop" online. Once you get to town, the bulletin boards should have some appliances listed, too.

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Cat, Lowes doesn't (or didn't in January, things can change) deliver to the east side. You may be able to rent or borrow someones trailer or truck if you are sold on something at Lowes (we have lent ours out on occasion, since its only a hunk o steel begging to rust unless its being used!)
Both times we bought an big appliance from Sears, they had the delivery rebate (they seem to run it fairly often, the last time they held our refrigerator until we closed on our house (almost a month) so the staff we have dealt with did work with us (you will need a zen like patience at the store, but we have found that you just gadda take a big breath, smile, get in the zone, then things start working out!)
Aloha, Carey

Thanks guys! I will definitey check out the place in Honokaa - sounds like a fun! We're all about energy efficiency, hoping to one day do the whole "off the grid thing". One thing at a time, tho -

I'll be as sweet and patient as I need to be. I'm not in a hurry. After all, I'll be in Paradise, right? But for sure, Carey, I'll be centering myself in the car 'fore I go in!!! I'll be visualizing a positive outcome all the way! "Stainless steel what???" Smile

Cat

We hope to be relocated over to the Great Puna by June! Hopefully get a home started then. Due to the great info here, we'll order all appliances in December, hoping they'll arrive by May 07 for placement!

Well you gotta have a plan right. Do you pay for the appliances when they arrive or when you order? Thanks, Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Pay when you order at Sears unless using the forever and ever plan, probably most others as well.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
We paid when ordering at Lowes. We also went with stainless appliances and bought the biggest and best warranty on every appliance. I am told that here on the east side, rust isn't an IF, it's a WHEN so the warrantee's for five years should get my stuff replaced wdith no problem. Wish me luck!!!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
quote:
Actually, I was in the Nav, and Doug, my other half was in the Corps for 12. It comes out on occassion!!

Wow, a squid/jarhead mixed marriage! Have both families disowned you?

aloha & Semper Aweigh,
Gene

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson
Just a tip for all you stainless steel appliance owners. Those of you having stone or tile floors installed that are being washed with muriatic acid, be very sure that the FUMES don't come in contact with the appliances as it will discolor the steel and you may not be able to remove the stain if exposure is heavy enough and it doesn't have to be in the same room either.

Also when buying stainless steel, and PJ your husband may attest to this being a welder, not all stainless steel is created equal. Appliance steel should be austenitic stainless steel type 304 18/8. The 18/8 stands for 18% chromium and 8% nickel. The incorporation of the nickel makes it non magnetic, so bring a magnet shopping just to be sure. The nickel is what makes it resistant to corrosion/rust and in Hawaii's acidic climate the more the better should you find specs with 18/10 or 18/8/3 it will be more resistant to the elements.

Hope this info is helpful to someone

Aloha HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.