Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matson woes...
Some of the other shipping companies that I have been told are good are: Horizon, Pasha, and Young Brothers. There are other people that have had good experiences with Matson, but it seems to be a craps shoot. Some have gotten their delivery in 10 days, and others have waited 6 months or more(one person told me it took 9 months for them...). I would definitely research all shippers that run out of your port and ask each if they can give you a departure and arrival of the vessel that they would be shipping on. Matson will not give this information unless you pay for the "premium shipping" service.
Good luck.
Aloha,
Mark

Having spent my career in shipping and having at one time worked for both Matson and also US Lines which was sold and later became Horizon Lines, I thought I would offer some information.

The US-Hawaii trade is protected by US laws that only allow US built and crewed ships with US ownership. The means you have a choice of using Matson or Horizon for containers and vehicles and Pasha for vehicles only. All others are just selling their service but using one of the above for shipping to Hawaii.

The prices are very close with some downward pressure on vehicles because of the new entrance of Pasha along with their additional vessels on the drawing board. They initially cut Matson's rates, who is the price leader, and they then followed. Because of the lack of real competition due to the US laws these rates will never be too far apart.

Matson sails from Seattle, Oakland and Long Beach and uses its own barges for inter-island shipping. Horizon sails from Tacoma, Oakland and Los Angeles and they uses Young Brothers barges for inter-island. Pasha sails from San Deigo only and has a port call in Hilo.

All vehicles are protected from the weather and never shipped on deck unless it is extremely oversized and won't fit in the vessel auto garage or in a container.

Hozizon only uses containers. Pasha only uses an auto garage. While Matson uses both.

Vehicles are more likely to get stuck somewhere if they need to transshiped in Honolulu or elsewhere. So Pasha is most likely to have a more consistent timely delivery. It also helps that their ships are not filled to capacity. Matson with its transshipment in Honolulu and limited garage space would seem most likely to encounter delays.

Damage wise, container or garage shipping is similar. Container auto shipping is a little more likely for damage during loading and unloading.

If you need more info let me know.

Tom G

Thanks Tom,

That was a lot of good information.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I shipped 2 containers in 2005. Both via Horizon. No problem with either. The 40 ftr was owned by Horizon. The 20 ftr was SOC (owned by us), but was shipped via Horizon without a problem. Both were shipped overland via rail from Atlanta to Long Beach, then Honolulu to Hilo.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Tom:

I am trying to ship from Baltimore Maryland (car+household Goods)and wanted to know if anyone knows of an option that avoids trucking the car across country?

Thanks,

Will Peratino
Will Peratino
Will,

There hasn't been a intercoastal service between the east and west coast for 20 years. Your only options are to truck, rail or drive the vehicle to the west coast.

The shipping companies will offer rates from Baltimore to Hawaii and rail your vehicle to the west coast as part of the rate.

Tom

Well, it finally happened, my van made it on the Monday night barge! The long, long wait is finally over. I hope all of you that are getting ready to ship vehicles have much better luck than I did.
Aloha,
Mark

Glad to hear you finally have your own wheels! (too bad you can't get a rebate for the time your vehicle has aged, after all it is now a 1/4 year older than when you last saw it!) Luckily you seem to have handled this extremely sticky situation with grace.
Aloha, Carey

Whoa Mark, that was an epic journey your van took! Perhaps it did some unauthorized traveling in your absence!! LOL Did it arrive in good shape after all is said and done? Aloha, Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Picked the van up today, apparently no worse for the wear. Sure is nice to have my own vehicle back.
Aloha,
Mark