Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed traps on Hwy 130
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford
...maybe, just maybe, someone will hear and keep hearing...

Dr. W -

As an officially selected member of the State H-130 Advisory Task Force committee ... let me tell you, I'm listening to all things.

This will be a long 4 year process and I hope I never hear the words.... "I didn't hear about this from anyone!"

This road project affects us all and I'm honored to be one of the decision makers on this project....

So to all you azzholes who keep riding my azz on H130... I can't go any faster when the car in front of me is going the limit... get off my azz!
-------
blog
Damon,

Thrilled to hear you are on the Hwy 130 Advisory group.

A couple of key points from me:

+ NO widening -- that only creates more traffic.
+ 45MPH From South end of Pahoa Bypass (intersection near school) to North end of Keaau Bypass (Shipman Industrial) .
+ Use the County Helicopter to patrol during busiest times and cite, cite, cite the crazies speeding, passing on the shoulder, tailgating, etc.
+ Major danger to be addressed: people passing in the shoulder lanes, including the alleged '6am-8am' strip where people drive way, way fast and pass on the right side.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Good ideas James, the copter can be effective and most people think it is more accurate then radar. Time and distance.
I like it here in the shallow end of the gene pool
On our ride to work yesterday I set my cruise at 55...and then I had one bigass pickup truck 5 feet behind me until he could actually pass me in the RIGHT lane. There's no accounting for idiots.

Carrie Rojo

"The sun and moon collide. Isn't gravity a funny thing? The universe explodes apart. All the children sing..." Todd Rundgren
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

Damon,

Thrilled to hear you are on the Hwy 130 Advisory group.

A couple of key points from me:

+ NO widening -- that only creates more traffic.
+ 45MPH From South end of Pahoa Bypass (intersection near school) to North end of Keaau Bypass (Shipman Industrial) .
+ Use the County Helicopter to patrol during busiest times and cite, cite, cite the crazies speeding, passing on the shoulder, tailgating, etc.
+ Major danger to be addressed: people passing in the shoulder lanes, including the alleged '6am-8am' strip where people drive way, way fast and pass on the right side.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

noted

-------
blog
I think a light is needed at the entrance/exit to Pahoa. Accidents happen frequently and near accidents all the time. Too many drivers seem to have no idea what the rules are at this intersection and cut in front of cars going 55 when they're supposed to wait.
I am actually for widening. One lane for those who like to put put 20mph under the limit and the other for those who drive the speed limit. Traffic moves much more quickly where it turns into 2 lanes in Keaau. Lower Puna is rapidly growing and more and more people will have to commute to Hilo. It's crazy that certain spots (where Keaau goes from two lanes to one) create traffic jams that take 20 minutes to go a mile. It's only going to get worse over time. I think it is crazy for a rural community to have traffic jams worse than we had in the Bay Area. Helicopters buzzing around everywhere to issue traffic citations sounds horrible to me.

quote:
Originally posted by robguz... I think it is crazy for a rural community to have traffic jams worse than we had in the Bay Area...

I havent been to SF in about +10 years but I remember them being way worse than anything we have now.

Was something done that eased the situation now? And if so what was that?
quote:
Originally posted by robguz

I think a light is needed at the entrance/exit to Pahoa. Accidents happen frequently and near accidents all the time.... Lower Puna is rapidly growing and more and more people will have to commute to Hilo....Helicopters buzzing around everywhere to issue traffic citations sounds horrible to me.

Traffic lights v roundabouts: roundabouts are way safet -- many, many cases documented of reducing crashes [they're NOT accidents!] and reducing the severity of those that do happen.

Commuting to Hilo is NOT the future. Develop Puna for Puna with services, business, and livelihoods right here. Repeated cases demonstrate that a 2-to-3-year highway widening project such as would be the case for Hwy 130 reduces traffic congestion for about 5 years. And, then, there's more traffic...
Of course, mass transit potential has not even begun to be realized.
Put the $$ outlay and hours-on-the-road as costs, compare local economic development and reduced dependency on low-occupancy-vehicle versus widening. Make a fair comparison. Having seen the results in so many other situations I am confident local economic development and reduced use of cars is most beneficial.

The Helicopter proposal was NOT about them "buzzing around everywhere." ...gimme a break!
The County owns one Police helicopter right now in this real world we are talking about. It could be deployed tomorrow morning.

Perhaps you are afraid of being cited for traffic violations?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
My suggestion for 130 [:I]

Its a highway for gods sake... 45mph is just too slow. That would make the Minimum 30... arhhhh and thats just to slow for a highway especially for the people who have to commute to work. We need more carpooling!!

Speed Limit means the MAXIMUM speed you should travel, not the speed your required to drive.... We just need more drivers to not be in such a big hurry, tailgating the relaxed people who are driving between the posted speed limits of 55 and 40.

Get the School Bus's to stop picking up kids on the Highway...

In the AM, traffic flows good until we have 5 different School Bus's making stops in both directions every 250 feet..... Kids dont even have to walk to a bus stop. They get picked up and dropped off at their driveways.

Find a way to get bus stop shelters built off the Highway so that traffic is not impeded during the most congested times.

I also notice during the school year traffic is much much worse due to 100s of parents driving their kids to school, make the school bus free so more parents are inclined to send their children on the bus...

Seriously... the Hele-On is free.. why do we charge our children to get to school??

Happy Monday Morning Everyone!!!
Hope everyone has a nice drive to wherever they are starting their week!!!

Beau S.
Someone must be hearing you all - again yesterday (Sunday) - radaring set up in 3 places on 130 between Pahoa (new) Fire Station and Keaau HS.