Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Endangered Hawaiian Hawk may be De-Listed
Oh! So it's ok for me to start name calling people I consider radical left wingers. Let's just desolve into a name calling free-for-all. Hmmm, whom should I start with?

Also, it seems you infer negative connotations to Christians. Is it now permissable to defame religions because some members hold political and environmental views at odds with your own? I assure you, there are Christians that hold very divergent views covering a broad range of views on politics and the environment.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Let me be specific, I don't care whether someone worships a kumquat, my problem is with those who throw out environmental concerns for their own profit. Of whatever political affiliation, they are still beneath contempt. And taking advantage of the current so called administrations antipathy to the environment entitles them to scorn. Were this not a forum open to families I would use much more accurate and vulgar terms to describe these low-lifes. And like I said calling them bottom dwellers, is an insult to fish everywhere.

dick wilson
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
I can't find any creditable explanation on the web about what the NWI is or who is behind it; the website that sourcewatch gives seems to have expired (it just shows generic ads). I doubt they even exist any more.

Even so, all the NWI can do is petition (which they did, 11 years ago!), then it's up to the scientists to decide if it should be delisted. If they have their data all wrong then please inform them.

Does anyone have hard facts about a financial/military conspiracy behind this? Or just strong "feelings"?

You have to draw a line somewhere.
The US Fish and Wildlife Service will be holding 2 meetings here on the Big Island to accept public comment on their plan to delist the hawk.

HILO: Wednesday, January 28th
6:30-8:30PM
Pu'ueo Community Center
145 Wainaku Street
961-8738

KONA: Thursday, January 29th
6:00 - 8:00PM
Yano Hall
82-6156 Mamalahoa Hwy
Captain Cook

I attended a meeting in September with Patrick Leonard, USFWS Field Supervisor. In this meeting Mr. Leonard acknowledged that the delisting was indeed initiated by the petiton filed by the National Wilderness Institute - even though it was over a decade ago.

This organization is apparently defunct, at least under that name, however they succeeded in setting this process in motion. Now because of this, the 'Io is perilously close to losing its endangered status.

When I asked Mr. Leonard what would have motivated this group, based on the mainland, to delist the hawk which lives only on this island, he said that the the group basically tried to delist as many species as possible because they believed government should not regulate such things. He also said that he did not relish dealing with such groups or the things they put into motion but this is the process they must follow.

You and I are also play a part in the process they must follow.

The 'Io have enjoyed a small comeback in recent years but their numbers are too few to be considered secure by any means. The USGS scientists who did the last study on which the delisting is supposedly based were careful to say that there is still much ambiguity and many variables that could effect the remaaining 'Io population.

Your participation really can make a difference here. Please come out and make your voice heard to protect the 'Io.

Aloha,
Mitzi
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
Wow, some people are just disgusting. Thank you Mitzi for being on top of all this.
Pretty soon the sky will be darkened by flocks of Io and Nene, the artic ocean will be a virtual "soup du Polar Bear"

Because we got Barak Obama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSaEQA83nFw
A suggested strategy: Drag out this review process until 12:00 Eastern Time on Tuesday (7:00 a.m. HT), January 20, 2009. Then, take a cup of coffee out into the yard, look up at the sky and say this: I think it's gonna turn out fine.
hmmm I might need to go and give my 2 cents worth...

not that most of you will like what I have to say....

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
"I assure you, there are Christians that hold very divergent views covering a broad range of views on politics and the environment."

Well said Oink. I was worried that my position as a Christian may have devalued my degree in Environmental Studies & Natural Resources.

I get sick of the: "If you're are a Christian you voted for George Bush, hate the environment, don't believe in a womans rights etc..", when I see these stereo typical comments I just think to myself how mis informed some people are. To assume that all Christians are followers of these hypocritical TV figureheads/evangelical want-to-bes is in my opinion somewhat naive.

It would be as bad as me saying that all current republicans must have joined the party in the last eight years because to have been a republican over the last twenty-five years one would have to be a major hypocrite and/or totally changed their political outlook at some point in as much as the Republican party, that I knew, has left behind the very tenants of States rights, less government, etc etc..

My opinion on this "Hawk" issue parallels another here "What's the rush?". Unfortunately this is posed as a question, the answer is greed. Of course I can't/won't prove it but be assured at the end of the day someone wants to develop or build in a "Hawk" nesting area or something.

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

I thought this was about hawks.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator