Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council District 5 DEBATE:
Mass transit question:

Bus stops were a very popular item in multiple answers -- YES!
(only 4+ years ago, in his office, Safarik ridiculed me for saying we needed bus stops; and the Mass Transit Administrator publicly dismissed them -- how times have changed!)

Two very good points:

Gumapac -- the important and obvious opportunity for carpooling.

Stocksdale -- recognized that people travel to jobs because our "economy sucks"

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Isn't video footage of something like this just priceless?

-------
Glob
Been away from the computer for a few days, and I just took a look at the video of the Council debate. Very good stuff there, and many, many thanks to the folks who made both the debate and the video possible.

Wayne Joseph still gets my support. Yes, he did get a bit testy, but James Weatherford has already pointed out that this could be a reaction to being labeled as passive earlier. Some balance would be helpful. His willingness to research other opinions and thoughtfully change his viewpoint is a BIG PLUS. After initially proposing more traffic lights on 130, he looked into roundabouts and now sees them as a viable alternative. I don't expect my Councilperson to know everything or be perfect, but I do expect that person to get the facts and learn. A quick course in the practical limitations of long-distance energy transmission might be useful.

Kale Gumapac still seems like "Mr. No" to me, offering very little apart from the Kanaka Council having stopped some questionable things from happening. While I heartily agree that there are things that need to be stopped, I would like to seem some substantive proposals for things that will move us forward.

Emily Naeole was indeed better prepared and better able to express herself than I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it's too little, too late for me.

Gary Safarik continues to impress with facts and knowledge of how the government process works, but doubts remain about his willingness to listen and learn from constituents.

Kaniu Stocksdale actually showed some insights and more than just a pleasant personality. She does not seem like a really viable candidate, however.

Note to Dr. Weatherford: I am starting a new thread on the politics of the Thirty Meter Telescope with some initial economic data I looked up earlier today.

Cheers,
Jerry
One thing that Kale has actively supported which Emily certainly did not is the Puna Community Development Plan. If you want to talk about Puna and ways to deal with the future here that is the heartbeat at this moment in history. Kale will support the implementation of the PCDP.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I live off the grid, so my access to Punatalk is sporadic and I apologize for my late respone.
Regarding geothermal energy.
I still believe Tutu Pele exist, and that geothermal in Hawai`i is unacceptable. Drilling for geothermal energy means drilling into Tutu Pele’s body and taking her energy and life blood.
Aside from that - I find it interesting how people put themselves above “mother nature” and think they can actually build something to withstand Tutu Pele and her family.
All we need is a real good earthquake hitting the right spot at the right time and putting a crack in the right place. . . unseen by human eyes. The question after that will be – how many people will be instantly killed by the chemicals leaking from that crack. How far will the deadly poisonous gases travel before it looses its potency? To Leilani Estates, Kapoho, Kalapana, Wa’awa’a, Nanawale, Pahoa town? We’re not talking about vog. This gas will kill you.
If you were really listening to Kale Gumapac that is what he was saying in the 60 seconds he had regarding the geothermal, his concern for human life. I heard it! .. and I have added my belief about Tutu Pele.
So I will say it bluntly - - “this stuff’s going to kill people, birds, everything!” When this happens, (and who’s to say how long before that happens) how great would geothermal be then? Do you want to take that chance with people’s lives? I live in Wa’awa’a and I am not ready to leave this planet, and while I’m enjoying this planet, I want to live a long and healthy life. (Did you know birds are dying from the vog in the Volcano area?)
What is of value? Is human life important? Listening to people that believe in progress and big business, it seems human life is on the bottom of the “value list”. Look around you. Money and making life easy (turning on a switch for electricity, watching TV, etc) has become more important than caring about people’s welfare.
Some thoughts to consider –
• Since geothermal started here on Big Island, the volcanic activity has not stopped – could that be Tutu Pele giving us direct feedback about geothermal?
• The unusual interesting phenomenon that has occurred at Halema`uma`u, could it be because the existing geothermal plant is putting those poisonous gases back in and causing these phenomenon, and if so what else is going on that man thinks he’s got under control.
This is not Iceland (I’ve been there and they do use Geothermal energy).
Our volcano is very different. So could it be that what works elsewhere will not operate the same here in Hawai`i.
Progress is great, but not at the expense of anyone’s health.
Especially since there are other options.
Options that don’t keep us dependent on paying HELCO. With geothermal you’re still going to get a bill from HELCO. Wouldn’t you rather be free from that expense? I am enjoying living off the grid and not paying HELCO a cent.
quote:
• Since geothermal started here on Big Island, the volcanic activity has not stopped – could that be Tutu Pele giving us direct feedback about geothermal?

Are you saying that there was no volcanic activity before the Geothermal drilling started?

Transplanted Texan
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Jon - Prior to the geothermal development, Pele did not erupt so frequently. Since geothermal, there has been fairly constant activity. More important – there is no guarantee on safety. I would not want another Katrina. Our county and state government's history on takine care of things is not great. They still haven't cleaned the mess at Wao Kele O Puna and the money to do that has been available for a long time.
I do believe that when she flows there's always a reason. Usually it'a a cleansing of some kind.
Well, I am new to the island, so I don't know the history of eruptions, but common sense tells me that in the past the eruptions have been worse then they are now.

Transplanted Texan
Did some quick reading...

so what you are saying is that the well drilled in 1976 started the eruptions from then on, including the eruption that is still going today? Not being a volcano expert I will still guess that drilling a hole in the ground would not cause eruptions in other areas.

The general feeling I have seen around Puna is that if the lava stops flowing, that is when people around here start worrying, not the other way around.

Thanks for the reason to read up in it some, some fascinating technology for an old water well driller to read about.

Transplanted Texan