Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Electric rates highest in nation
You know gtill, I think you should still rail for geothermal power. I think that it is the obvious solution to the power issue here. Diesel generators for power are just too expensive, there doesn't seem to be enough storage for hydroelectric, and the wind farm on Southpoint is limited, but has potential. Solar panels connected to the grid make sense, but are pricey for an individual to bear.

A geothermal solution for 100% of the power as compared to 30% just makes the most sense. Underground power lines are just an esthetic, they don't generate power and power is what is needed. Clean, renewable and oil free power. Hmmmm, sounds like New Zealand...

Cheers,

Sean
See you in the surf
I was at my mother-in-laws on Oahu and she was shocked that her light bill was a little over $300.00. I said shoot that is nothing, in Houston in the summer it is not uncommon to have $400.00 - $600.00 bills.

But after looking at her bill, I realized that she only used about 1000 KwH.

Conserve, conserve, conserve, I say.
Sean, in hurricane and termite country, underground is more than an aesthetic. Fortunes are spent yearly trimming trees and repairing down lines. Plus asthetics are important in a showcase project, like it or not, tourism of one kind or another is important, and We do like unobstructed view's
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

Sean, in hurricane and termite country, underground is more than an aesthetic. Fortunes are spent yearly trimming trees and repairing down lines. Plus asthetics are important in a showcase project, like it or not, tourism of one kind or another is important, and We do like unobstructed view's

Who will ultimately pay the cost to bury these lines? The consumer.
Bob, usually I'd agree, but right now there's a push to showcase and pay for new ideas in complete energy independent systems, and right now Hawaii is leading the way at the consumers expense. There are billions of dollars being thrown at any conceivable energy independence programs, and why can't Hawaii be at the top of the begging list. Would be best if it could tie in military use too, that's always helpful.
The BI rates right now aren't sustainable. President elect Obama has said that energy independence is a major goal, Hawaii is already outfront in same, and geothermal might be possible with Hawaiian acceptance, give the new president an already in progress platform to complete with federal funds!
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by esnap

I was at my mother-in-laws on Oahu and she was shocked that her light bill was a little over $300.00. I said shoot that is nothing, in Houston in the summer it is not uncommon to have $400.00 - $600.00 bills.

But after looking at her bill, I realized that she only used about 1000 KwH.

Conserve, conserve, conserve, I say.

how many people in the household? how big is the house?

if you saw my example, we have 4 people in our household and we do laundry nearly every day because mom is incontinent. we wash only in cold water (the tenant uses hot). we try to hang things on the line as much as possible and use energy saving bulbs. our tenant does nothing to conserve electricity. leaves fans and lights on all the time.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Kani Lehua, if you're moving to Volcano side, what plans do you have for heat and clothesdrying?
Gordon J Tilley
kani-lehua,
Just some ideas,
install timer switches to his lights and fans.

replace all incandescents with cfl or led.

disconnect the hot water line from the washer, so the tenant can't use hot water to wash.
or better yet, put a tee or Y from the cold valve to both hot and cold inlets.

Making a solar water heater is childs play and fun. there are endless ways to do it.
It ain't magic, if people new how simple it was, they'd think companies like Solar-hart are just preying on peoples ignorance.

get a front load high effeciency washer. They use less electricity and water, but one of the real savings comes from their high spin cycle. They spin at a much higher rpm, so your clothes are much dryer before you dry them. Use the dryer only to fluff breifly after line drying.

Choose fabrics that dry quicker.

Wear clothes till they are actually dirty.

quote:
Originally posted by gtill

Bob, usually I'd agree, but right now there's a push to showcase and pay for new ideas in complete energy independent systems, and right now Hawaii is leading the way at the consumers expense. There are billions of dollars being thrown at any conceivable energy independence programs, and why can't Hawaii be at the top of the begging list.
Energy independence is not the same as overhead or buried utility lines.
The estimated cost to bury utility (electric) lines is between $950,000.00 to $1,800,000.00 PER MILE! How many miles of overhead utility lines exist in Puna right now? Wouldn't that money be better put to developing alternative energy sources? [Wink]
With regard to Hawaiian Electric and as to why we are we are the highest in the nation:

It all comes down to money, greed, Helco shareholders and no competition. Helco can charge us whatever the market will bare and we either pay it, use an alternative source or go without electricity. The Public utilities commmision that's suppose to keep an eye on abuse is a puppet of Hawaiian Electric. Helco shareholders are making huge dividends at the expense of the hawaiian economy. And as long as the money is being payed out to their shareholders...they're not going to lower rates (and lower their dividends) just because oil's gone down.

Another option other than conserving, going off grid or using alterative sources of power is buying shares of Hawaiian Electric stock.(If you can't beat em...join em) If you applied the dividends you would receive to your monthly electric bill....you would be paying less than mainland power company consumers pay!