Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crime in Seaview
You two are cracking me up. [Big Grin]
Love the reminded you of fun times in the 60's.

Glen, my escrow closed as Flossie bore down us.
I was subletting an oceanfront duplex at Vacationland.
I had to get out two days early because the road was closing and the tidepools had relocated to under my house, more or less.
The first night I spent in the new house, the one I had just bought, was the quake.

Talk about testing the soundness! Post and pier was rockin and rollin. Being as I didn't know the house well yet and hadn't gone through any baby quakes, I didn't even know which doorway to stand in. Having to think out the structural strengths while in mid quake.

So ya, I know!

I looked in Seaview; my realtor said it was mixed in quality, and Puna Beach Palisades next door was more uptown. That's probably true. Uptown isn't necessarily better, more restrictive it appeared.

The lava was there in 1955 and there's no apparent reason (to me) why it wouldn't happen again in our lifetimes.
I really love that whole area along the Red Road. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and I always take my traveling companions (the people I drag over with me) to that stretch. An aspect of the beauty of course is the detritus of devastation....the evidence that something horrible happened here ---sort of like a beautiful half-naked model with a bloody meat cleaver in her hand (I use "her" here to refer to the feminine spirit, and not to gender). Fascinating. When I was looking, I very much liked Seaview. There was a plantation style house on Oliana (sp?) with a screened in front porch and a separate studio in the back, for guests that I just loved. I couldn't stop driving by it. It had great bones. Designed, I think by Neil Erickson (sp?). It had the style of decorating that I really like: uncluttered Asian (if you want to stray really, really far from your Southern roots, be sure to live in a house that has very little furniture and nothing on the walls but a painting of cherry blossoms --insanity should ensue in about a week).

Ultimately, I decided it was too far from town for me as I intend to enslave a worker bee while I pluck peaberries. I don't have any statistics, but my impression is that Seaview continues to gentrify and is actually a stronger and more cohesive community than many other subdivisions. Seaview has its own little Farmer's Market, I think, and other community activities. It is small enough to develop a neighborhood watch system that could be effective. Seaview is in a wonderful micro-climate, is close to Puna's only major resort, Kalani, close to a well-known black sand beach and has a lot to offer. It is also gay-friendly, which studies show is a sign of a community on the way up.

So, to answer Damon's question, my impression is that Seaview is a nice community that like other communities in Puna, has plenty of room for improvement. I see people improving Puna all of the time.

You guys all are so funny... Jerry and Glen... you two not only have the gift of story telling, but also a terrific sense of humor mixed with some interesting experiences.

I am not sure though that Oliana is in Seaview. We rented a house (www.haleballeja.com )several times on the corner of Oliana and 137/Red Road and it seemed to me that Seaview was a little farther north. I remember driving past Seaview on a Sunday afternoon and thinking, "That SO reminds me of the summer of love!" I was only 13 that summer... but I will never forget the sights and sounds of the Haight and Golden Gate Park.

We seriously considered two houses up Oliana, but in the end, decided that a gamble on Lava was not probably worth it.

devany
Glen, I believe that Oliana St. is in Puna Beach Palasades (sp?)...which is a totally different ball game than Seaview.

I do agree with you in that one of the world's most beautiful drives brings you to both of these subdivisions. And, I agree that Seaview is very much up and coming. Folks are building some very nice homes there. The old school buses used as housing are getting harder and harder to find. Yeah!!
Aloha Glen, the Farmers Market is located at the rear of the Communmty.
It is put on by S.P.A.C.E. Seaview Performance Arts Center for Education. At their center. We are just fortunate to have space located
within our borders.

KathyH, Puna Beach Palisades does not have a home owners assosiation, and I believe no CC&Rs. Seaview. Has a homeowner association but no
CC&R. So the restriction you see at PBP is by their personal choice.
That could change without CC&Rs.

Deavany is right Oliana is in Puna Beach Palisades.

Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
-- Beca Lewis Allen
I always wondered where the farmer's market was! DARN... I wish I would have known, as when we were there I was writing articles about Farmer's Markets in Hawaii. Thanks Wyatt! I think this calls for a trip down the red road.

devany

Well, Oliana may end up in Seaview. We just don't know.

Anyone remember in 1984 when the Lava came close to Hilo [:0]

http://tinyurl.com/c6kp9g

Damon Tucker's Weblog
yeah damon, we would set on the lanai at nite and watch the "glow" as it inched toward hilo-town. got within 4 miles of the first houses i believe... quite a show as both volcanos were going at once...all kine crazy theories on how to stop it, but luckily Pele decided to spare us once more...
Hey Loretta, we actually had a bus drive out of Seaview after being anchored here for years. Owner Died. Another owner passed and about
10 cars were removed from his lot. The Association removed roughly 12
scattered abandoned vehicles from the roadsides. Yes Seaview is changing with the time.

Wyatt

-- Beca Lewis Allen
-- Beca Lewis Allen