Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you bring your bed w/ you?
We shipped the beds, but have bought Cal King, Queen, and 2 twin mattresses here. As noted, definitely not inexpensive items here.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

I remember many years ago when "Furnitureland Dave" accidently ordered an extra container, didn't have room in his warehouse, and had to SLASH prices. It must be true, for I heard it on the radio. This is probably why he's going out of business.

Greg... you killing me! I forgot about that ad!

Honestly though.. this isn't the case. Just heard from a worker at a "major" furniture place that does specialize in beds... that times are tough and this person is worried about their future employment due to market conditions.

I'm not trying to bum rush everyone to buy something like that old ad that use to get people on the big island rushing to the store for the "only deal in town".

Damon Tucker's Weblog
There is a furniture store for sale downtown... sadly. I like the original owners, so I hope they do not sell.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
Carol,

Have you tried using a matress pad that has a laytex layer? Our sellers left two here on the guest bed and the Thai Bed in the cabana. I had never seen such a high quality matress pad. I remember when my kids were small, we had some rubber matress pads, but these have padding like a matress pad. They might help with your dust mite issue till you can get in your own bed in your own house. We have feather beds that go on top of our pillow top matresses too, but I don't think those would help with dust mites.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
Damon honey... FREE FLUFFING? Where will you get your futon fluffed??? Try hanging it over the lanai railing and pounding it with a stick. Or have someone hold one end, and you hold the other end and bounce the little Damon around on it like a trampoline. That will fluff it up for you! [Wink]

BTW, this is a good thread, as it seems like there are all kinds of answers to your question. It is interesting reading.

quote:
Originally posted by Damon
[br
My trouble with this whole thing... I bought a 10 year warranty for my futon...and part of that warranty includes free fluffing periodically. If this place goes out of business... where do I get my futon Fluffed under this warranty? I guess I'll be SOL unless I want to pay shipping to another island to have it fluffed under the warranty.

Damon Tucker's Weblog

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
Damon, some input from a newly transplanted family.

We moved here 7 months ago and still can not find decent priced furniture. We have a very uncomfortable futon from Walmart in the living room. Slightly better than sitting on the floor.

And we are all still sleeping on air mattresses. I sold a nice King sized mattress set and two twin beds on Craigslist before moving here. Managed to get $300 for the King and $150 for each twin. We sold these instead of shipping because we were sure we could replace them with similar quality used mattresses on Craigslist or similar. Heck, we only spent $200 on each twin set and $700 for the King set brand new 4 years earlier!

We have found nothing remotely within our price range and even the decent ones at yard sales are often loftier prices and they always have sold signs on them even when we get to the yard sales at 7 am. Mattresses are a hot commodity here!

When we bought the twin beds on the mainland we had bought them at Sears and thought, well there is a Sears on the Big Island, we can get a similar priced mattress there. That was mistake number one. The only places to get mattresses here appear to be overpriced specialty stores. And when the heck is a Goodwill or Salvation Army??? [Smile]
Try Cosstco in Kona...
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Smiths Furniture and appliances has used hotel mattresses in varying condition for very reasonable prices. These are not fancy pillow tops, just basic mattresses and box springs. That is what we are sleeping on until we buy a new one, it is killing my hip because it isn't firm enough though.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Good info to know pslamont and csgray! I will check Smith's and if not there then a run to Kona may be in order. [Big Grin]
The Home Place on Makaala Dr (near the mall and Walmart) sometimes has decent prices on new mattresses.

We brought 2 twins/box springs for our King frame-which are old and lumpy...., and bought a (GREAT!!) queen and box spring for $50 on CL-but just happened to see the ad within seconds of its posting and lived just down the street.....dumb luck!

http://the-hroost.com