Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ham Radio Operators Please Read
Around 83 or 84 I knew some ham nuts that had hand helds. I don't know how they did it but they could even make telephone calls on them. I thought it was kinda cool but I didn't understand it. I still have no idea how they made phone calls on them.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by oink

Around 83 or 84 I knew some ham nuts that had hand helds. I don't know how they did it but they could even make telephone calls on them. I thought it was kinda cool but I didn't understand it. I still have no idea how they made phone calls on them.

They use the transciever to contact a repeater, a stationary unit with a good antenna and high-power transmitter. The repeater makes the phone call via land line.

Gotta be careful what you say, since the whole world could be listening.

Art
I just read this in the Hilo Tribune Herald:

"The bill allows motorists to use hands-free phones and other electronic equipment while driving."

This means that you can use Bluetooth headsets to chat on the phone while driving. CA and WA have similar hands-free laws.

The article also quotes Councilman Dominic Yagong as mentioning "costly hands-free devices." Clearly, the councilman is a bit out of touch. Bluetooth headsets can be purchased for less than $20.

ArtM
I have be a Ham Radio operator for 24 years. There is a big different between CB and Amateur Radio operators. The differences are vast.

Here is a link to an entry level radio:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5250.html

Here is a link to a radio I have in my car.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/f.../0208.html

A repeater linked to the internet via the echolink network will allow for worldwide voice
communications from your car or handheld radio using very low power.

You can get a Technician Class License without having to learn morse code.

If you are serious about being able to have emergency communications, Amateur Radio is the way to go. In 1992 after the Hurricane, the governor of Hawaii had to use Amateur radio to reestablish inter island communications, as all state radio and commercial phone systems on Kauai were inoperable. With a license you would be part of that worldwide emergency communication system.

And its a lot of fun too!

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
radioguy,

Can you give a quick and dirty about the differences between CB+SSB and Amateur Radio?

BTW, I appreciate the links!

Cheers,
Kirt
CB radio was a class of radio created in the 1950's by the FCC to allow extremely short range mobile to mobile and base to mobile personal communications. The FCC limited range by limiting transmit power and antenna height. You had to file for a license but there was no test so anybody could get one.
Also the frequencies selected for the CB channels are in the 27 MHz band, which typically do not allow for anything but short range communication. CB is now a place where truck drivers communicate short distances on the interstate highways. 50% of CB transmissions are illegal because of power levels. CB'er try to talk long distance by increasing power. There is much more to the problems with CB, including radio wave propagation during sun spot cycles and other factors that make 27 MHz the worst place to be for effective communications. This was all taken into consideration when CB was created. It is sort of an unlicensed wild west place with some very colorful and out of control characters. Another way to think of this is CB radio has not changed since the 1950, so you can see how limited it is.

SSB is a "mode" that modulates your voice on a radio wave for longer distance and a smaller channel width. FM is typical of modern mobile transceivers, like police and fire.

CB transmits on 27,000,000 cycles per second, (27MHZ) in the high end of the shortwave spectrum, the radios in the link are VHF and UHF transceivers, just like police and fire radios, operating on 144 MHZ and 440 MHz.

Ham radio has so many frequencies and modes of operation I could not list them here.
I have talked on a satellite from my house using ham radio. Ham radio is typically a very professional and intelligent place to be. The FM (not AM or SSB) dual band transceiver in the link has 500 memories, 50 watts transmit power, a wide band receiver that allows you to monitor all police, fire, marine, aircraft frequencies. With a handheld radio, you can travel and access repeaters in all major cities, and along highways. Some mainland systems are linked over numerous states. There is now digital audio as a mode of operation.

CB radio is like trying to cross the ocean in a row boat, you might make it, but I would rather be on the aircraft carrier of ham radio.

I hope this helps. And look on the internet, it is endless the information about ham radio communications.

Thanks so much radioguy! I appreciate your overview.

I have been looking at the web quite a bit, but your succinct take is exactly what I never really came across.

Cheers,
Kirt
""If you are serious about being able to have emergency communications, Amateur Radio is the way to go. In 1992 after the Hurricane, the governor of Hawaii had to use Amateur radio to reestablish inter island communications, as all state radio and commercial phone systems on Kauai were inoperable. With a license you would be part of that worldwide emergency communication system.""

I was there after the big blow.. I have a Yaesu 2 meter rig in my truck mainly because of what I saw after Iniki(sp). Ihave a repeater right down the street.

Hams are making a big come back because as we all know land lines are becoming less popular. These cell towers are very fragile as many people found out recently after Katrina. Hams, some of which were friends of mine, played a key roll in the days right after the storm. I would highly recommend ham radio to any one living ina rural area.

Here's the good news, the ARRL recently took the Morse code requirement off the exam so it's really easy to get your license now.

Check it out at:
http://www.arrl.org/

Dave(KF5AQW)

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young