Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PIZZA
Devaney, Paolos is not the place to go and eat if you are in a hurry. For Italians and many others, eating meals together is more of a social tradition than just fill your belly and go. It is not uncommon to sit down for dinner and not be finished for a couple hours.

As for the wine, well whatever. It works for us to bring our own, get exactly what I want that way.

It's all preference, can't please everyone. By the way, the chef that used to work at Paolo's is now at Hokulani's.
quote:
Originally posted by Devany

Paul,

My favorite place to eat in East Hawaii is MY house. You ask about restaurants. It is hard to have a favorite restaurant when most are substandard here. I lived in Chicago for 15 years, ten of which I did restaurant reviews. I have been to NYC many many times and had some wonderful Italian American Food, as well as some quite good regional Italian. Boston's North End has a great little Italy Vibe, but it is also mostly Italian American, quite different from Italian Regional.

I really like Garden Snack Club in Hilo, a secret sort of restaurant that is Thai inspired very fresh and mostly local food. Hilo Bay Cafe except for the location. In Puna, I would say Kaleos, though it can be inconsistent at times and quite noisy too. I like Cafe Pesto, but prefer the Kawaihae location (though that does not fit the East Side criteria).

What I did not like about Paolo's is slow service, dirt, and the fact that the guy cannot even bother to get a liquor license. Name me one great Italian restaurant anywhere that does not serve wine!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com

quote:
Originally posted by Devany

Paul,

My favorite place to eat in East Hawaii is MY house. You ask about restaurants. It is hard to have a favorite restaurant when most are substandard here. I lived in Chicago for 15 years, ten of which I did restaurant reviews. I have been to NYC many many times and had some wonderful Italian American Food, as well as some quite good regional Italian. Boston's North End has a great little Italy Vibe, but it is also mostly Italian American, quite different from Italian Regional.

I really like Garden Snack Club in Hilo, a secret sort of restaurant that is Thai inspired very fresh and mostly local food. Hilo Bay Cafe except for the location. In Puna, I would say Kaleos, though it can be inconsistent at times and quite noisy too. I like Cafe Pesto, but prefer the Kawaihae location (though that does not fit the East Side criteria).

What I did not like about Paolo's is slow service, dirt, and the fact that the guy cannot even bother to get a liquor license. Name me one great Italian restaurant anywhere that does not serve wine!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com

Paul,
I couldn’t agree more, the best food on the BI is right in our kitchen.
My wife is a great cook and we have an unlimited menu.
We have had many Puna Webbers over for dinner and they to will agree.
The only pizza I will eat here is made right on our counter top. Even though there is a pizza pallor on Maui called Shakas’ that is darn good.
As for Kaleo’s they have moved the music to the back room and it is a bit more quite in the main dining room, try again.
As far a Paolo’s when you have holes in your floor, dirty silverware and cob webs hanging from the curtains that are falling off the windows I just wonder what surprises are waiting for you in the kitchen.

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Scott, New York City?

Devany, the lack of a liquor licence is one of the many positive aspects of Paolo's in my opinion. I wish more restaurants were the same, I prefer to pick wine from a much wider range (liquor store, or what I have at home) and not have to pay a 200, 300 or even 400% markup. I agree, restaurants can't match a good home-cooked meal but still good to eat out sometimes.

Yea, there is a hole in the wall restaurant in NYC’s Little Italy called Luna’s on Mulberry Street.
Some of the best Italian food is created here. One of John Gotti’s hangouts.
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
Having been to Italy on a number of occasions, I feel pretty safe in saying that very few Americans would be fond of "genuine" Italian pizza. It tends to be very minimalist with thin crust, just a smear of sauce, and paltry toppings. We did, however, find a place in Mantova that served "Pizza Americano." It was thronged with customers, mostly locals.

Cheers,
Jerry
Paulo's reputation is because there is NOTHING else to compare with. Sorry, Paulo, it's true.
Paolo's is great. definatly not your cookie cutter bleach and tile place. I cook a lot also, skilled the mexican/szechuan/southern school of refrigerator leftovers, I feel that eating out should be an adventure. Kaleos may be predictably good, but the key word here is predictably.

punatoons
I have known Paolo for about 15 years, he is an exceptional chef. While I never had his pizza, I have had many of his dishes beginning when he was a chef at Palm Cafe in Kona. I always eat at his restaurant when I'm in Puna and I never ever had a bad dish there. His restaurant and food is on par with the best Italian restaurants ANYWHERE in the US. (That comes from someone who has lived in NYC for 11 years and traveled throughout Italy in the early '70s.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Hey John, your reply gives validity! We will try it out next time we are in Pahoa. Devaney, we moved here from Chicago 2 years ago. For whom did you review restaurants? We were avid Chicago Magazine readers and enjoyed so many restaurants in Chicago. I tend to agree about restaurants here. In fact we took Chinese cooking classes prior to moving because we couldn't find good szechwan or hunan. Neither of the Italian restaurants in Hilo are worth a visit in my opinion. I have heard there is a good one in Waimea - Solomenes? Anyone been there? Aloha, Sheryl and Bill
Ah...Paolo's, after 14 yrs, can't say I had a bad experience there!
Samdooby...it's one of the better pizzas I've had here. Having said that, OF COURSE Jayne's pizza is most likely the best. BUT - I do like a cheese, pepperoni & mushroom. However, I've had their pesto and it's yummy (get it with tomatoes and olives). Their prices are amazing...usally $13.00 and change for a very large LARGE size.

I love all the regional bravado! Yous guys crack me up - HAAAA HAAAA... Okay, I'm from Buffalo...if you're from NYC or Chicago...I know you love your pizza. (I DO miss the little pepperonis that get all crisp on the edges...none of that here, sadly. Also - Sorrento's mozzarella) But COME ON! Yous ain't gonna find it here. Whaddya NUTS?!!

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"...So began the massacre of the Shaolin Temple and all sixty of the monks inside at the fists of the White Lotus. And so began the legend of Pai Mei's five-point-palm-exploding-heart technique." - Bill
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR