Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reasons to leave Hawaii
I don't think that discipline problems in public schools are specific to Hawaii. It's a problem nationwide, and IMHO, can be attributed to parents.

Aloha

"Welcome to the cruel world."- Ben Harper
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins

We rarely seem to hear anything good about the BI public schools. I have friends whose kids suffered through Keaau High when there were pipe bombs being routinely planted around the campus and racially motivated fights were common. The principal told upset Haole parents that they should understand that the local kids starting fights and beating up Haoles were "angry" and "needed more understanding than punishment." On a positive note, I guess, the same friends now report that the situation is better, not because anything was done about the problems, but because the worst offenders have either dropped out or graduated.

Part of the problem in Hawaii is the fact that there are no local school boards. When everything is run by a hide-bound bureaucracy in Honolulu, it is hard to quickly address problems. It is even harder to get rid of incompetent staff. The charter schools may eventually progress since they seem to be given more local autonomy, that is if they can keep the thugs out. Most of the charters are fairly new, and the verdict is still out. Are there Alterntative Schools for problem kids here?

As noted earlier, I don't have kids, but I believe that everyone has an interest in education. It affects all our lives. Golly, how I go on! This may need its own thread.

Aloha,
Jerry

Edited by - JerryCarr on 08/20/2006 08:47:54
I can't speak in generalities about the public school system here but the horror stories all seem to be consistent. I can only share some observations about our son's experience with HAAS (Pahoa Charter School) just a month into the school year:

No reported major discipline problems, no fighting, no open drug use. So far.

My son's academic attitude seems much the same as it was at his mainland suburbia school. He's always been a good student. He admits he's getting less homework than he used to (trust me, he's not complaining about itSmile. He also says he's being challenged in some subjects (dreaded trig which, thanks to his teaher, he's starting to "get"Wink. He says his classmates get away with a little more than his mainland school would allow, but most infractions are "good-natured-smart-ass" comments made during the lesson. (I went to a strict Catholic school, and can tell you we had no shortage of smart-ass class clowns Smile He said that students openly talk about drugs, but it's no different than the school he came from on the mainland.

And the bus system...tried it without incident. Son's only complaint was that it took so long for him to get home. Since HAAS is only minutes away from our house, we usually pick him up. But the bus system is our back-up option if we need it.

The toughest part of our decision to move here was the idea of subjecting our teenage son to a move at such a challenging time in life. I spent a lot of time "selling" the move to him, and (surprisingly) it worked. What's been the most surprising is that we haven't heard one complaint from him about ANYTHING. On the contrary, he likes the school atmosphere, gets along with the teachers, and feels accepted by his classmates. Considering we went into this with low expectations, gotta say his educational experience has exceeded our wildest expectations. So far.

And while I'm confident HAAS is doing its best to maintain a positive learning environment, I'm not counting on them to be perfect. I recognize that no matter where my children go in the course of their lives, there will be drugs, alcohol, fighting, bullies, prejudice and countless acts of cruelty. It's not a pleasant thought, but our children have to learn to deal with life's imperfections and challenges themselves because we won't always be there to hold their hands. These are valuable life lessons my son is facing today. In the long run I believe it will make him a better person.

So...if I had to make a recommendation today, I'd say that from our limited experience, HAAS appears to be a viable public school option. Anyone else out there with a child at HAAS?

Aloha Smile

Tim

"...if silence were golden you couldn't raise a dime; 'cause your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime" Mose Allison
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Hi Tim,
My daughter went to HAAS for three years and graduated in 05,(said she did not learn a thing) my 15 year old nephew goes there now (hes one of the good natured brats who would fail in public school but slips through the big crack called haas).
My 14 year old who goes to Christian Liberty, begs me regularly to be able to go to haas so he won't have to do school work.
But if your child is very, very motivated and self directed it may work .I would just be ever vigilant so he doesn't succumb to the non academic atmosphere.
Our choices for alternative high schools are few.Good luck I really hope it works for your boy.

Thanks so much for your perspective, punamom. It's good to get as many sides to a story as possible. As I said, we're only 1 month into this so it's way too early to draw any conclusions. My son is motivated (although "very, very" would be a stretch). I'd have to say he's self-directed too. In the end I take full responsibility for his education. We'll see what happens...But we certainly appreciate your good luck wishes! We'll keep you posted.

Aloha Smile

Tim

"...if silence were golden you couldn't raise a dime; 'cause your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime" Mose Allison
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Registered to say - great post David!

While it's true that parents bear responsibility for their kids' discipline or lack of it...there are other factors that apply. I speak purely from experience. Our kids are pretty good kids, although they are influenced by their peers, radio, TV, music, current events, news, among other things. Many times events will happen in their lives (approx 15 and 16 - one boy, one girl) that we as parents will NEVER know about. Remember being a teenager? I rarely went to my parents with things that effected me in school or in my social groups. To make a blanket statement like:

"I don't think that discipline problems in public schools are specific to Hawaii. It's a problem nationwide, and IMHO, can be attributed to parents."

is not only unfair to many parents who make an effort to be a part of their kids lives and but to the kids who have things they feel that are dismissed as a part of their home environment and may be affected by other factors in their lives unbeknownst to their parents. A blanket statement like this only insights controversy and does not speak to a solution for either parents or kids. It's not that simple. If it were, we'd all get text books on how to raise kids - maybe something titled: The Absolute Answer to Raising a Perfectly Balanced, Healthy Human. I didn't get one of those...we're all out here flapping our wings together.

I'm not upset here...just tryin' to make a point. Mahalo

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art

Edited by - carolann r on 08/21/2006 05:56:59
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Boloheads!! I had totally forgotten that! They are so funny! Or what about old school Rap Riplinger and Auntie Lani??

-Cat
I forgot to mention this great program for 11th and 12th graders its where you go to college instead of high school and use the credits to graduate high school and can keep them towards your college degree to.
There are two one is called running start and one is upward bound.The academic atmosphere in college is what saved my daughter from feeling totally hopeless with her options for high school.She loved this program!
It's not that simple. If it were, we'd all get text books on how to raise kids - maybe something titled: The Absolute Answer to Raising a Perfectly Balanced, Healthy Human. I didn't get one of those...we're all out here flapping our wings together.

You didn't get your copy, Carolann R? Would you like me to send you mine, I don't think I'll be needing it.

Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"- Chicken Little
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins