Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocketed Firecrackers in HPP
I love watching the aerials too, but we have fields of dry brush around both of our houses. Still I'm looking forward to seeing them New Year's Eve. I wasn't complaining about a few illegal fireworks. This had started a full week *before* Christmas and the durations were increasing each day - several hours a day of loud firecrackers. Since we talked my neighbors have been very quiet. I feel almost guilty. I should bring them something for New Year's Eve, like that 10,000 string of firecrackers suggested in this thread - only I couldn't afford a family pack of fountains let alone that.I'll think of something.

Cindy
I don't know what it is with fireworks/aerials with us locals. In my opinion, aerials should not be used because they are illegal (even tho I loved them when I was young).

Maybe your neighbors can pop the aerials in the other direction, away from your house?

But don't feel guilty, because you are right, this winter is super dry, and we do not want a brush fire anywhere! It is not so good that we are all on catchment, so it's hard to shoot water on your bushes/yard (especially with 1 acre+). Some of my friends used to do that in Honolulu, to help reduce the chance of a brush fire (in their tiny yards).

Maybe you can bring over some food? Everyone LOVES food. Just a small gesture to show that you're the nice neighbor.

Maybe not the 10,000 firecracker, but maybe a smaller one like a 5,000 if that is affordable? If not, home baked stuff is good too.

Thanks ef9. I spent all my money at Christmas and on rent so need to wait for next client to pay me. Food is a great idea though. I'll see if there's something here I can put together. I agree about the huge lots and dryness. My hose reaches about 20 feet and I've got about 1/2 acre of dry field out back lol. He is going to be more careful I'm sure. But they have close neighbors, even closer to their driveway on other side too.

I hope everyone's pets are ok today and tonight. I rounded up one cat but the other two are hunkered down in the jungle out front somewhere and now with firecrackers popping off from all directions, I don't think they're about to move. Still I'm walking around constantly and calling. Maybe dinnner time they'll make a run for it. I parked the car in the driveway to give them a shelter to run for before the rest of the way to the house. Last year all three stayed out there. I wanted to bring them in early but had to go to the bank and had not idea Hilo would be so crazy today. People nice but just lots and lots of traffic. Well I better get back outside. Thank you for the ideas - HAPPY NEW YEAR eveyone!!

Two of our cats are still out there. Good thing they handle fireworks better than the dogs. I think they might be hunkered down in a little cave or in the jungle. Last year all 3 stayed out all night long. I've been walking around calling them for most of the last four hours and not a peep. They are scared to run out in the open, which they have to do to get to the house. Well I shouldn't say this because I'm soon to be an expatriate, but I really liked the fireworks deals on the mainland better because they were centralized - backyard fountains at the parks and aerials at a stadium. Much easier on the pets and the wildlife, and less human injuries and fires.
Cindy,
Don't assume it is better on the mainland, it depends on the local laws. When we lived in Oregon fireworks were on sale for over a month leading up to the 4th and for a week afterwards (huge discounts available on bulk sales!) We had a dog who got hysterical and spent 5 weeks every year in a state of panic, we drugged her into a semi-comatose state for the Fourth and New Years. Our HPP neighborhood is actually better than that.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Cindy,
Don't assume it is better on the mainland,

Carol

Hi Carol,

It depends where you live. Where were you in Oregon?

Since I've not posted here much in the last year, here's a bit of my Hawaii - Oregon deal...

I grew up in LA. My grandparents loved the islands and had even bought a lot here in Puna in the 70's(mother sold it after they died). Had a great aunt here since the 40's. I grew up hearing about Hawaii and seeing my grandfather's slide shows and movies of Hawaii, listening to the music, reading the legends, etc.

I moved to Oregon when I was about 25 yrs old in 1980. I have lived in Oregon and Hawaii since then - over 12 years in Hawaii. I have lived all over this island but mostly in Hilo. And I have lived in Oregon in semi rural and city from Grants Pass to Ashland.

In 2007 my son and I were up at Volcano Golf Course subdivision. VERY QUIET. In 2006 in Ashland, Ore. Also VERY QUIET. It just depends on the area.

I love Hawaii. I also love the mountains, rivers and snow. Let's just say I love nature. My 17 y.o. homeschooled son does not love Hawaii. He was born here, and he used to enjoy the ocean. Now he is a computer techy. He's an intellectual type and like me also an animal lover. He wants to try Beaverton Oregon aka Silicon Forest. Internet is best in U.S. That's the main draw for him. Also lots of animals lovers, lots of techies, etc. So we're are moving this spring. He's also really looking forward to things like an insulated house, central air (we have gone through two a/c's here in his room in two years, and this one - a $400 Sears got mold within a month after installed - I know Oregon has mold, but we didn't have these issues with our air conditioning. And we won't miss the vog. That is hard on both of us, and thank goodness we are in HPP. Volcano used to be nice, but when Halaemaumau went off we came down the hill. He liked the cooler climate up there but we couldn't handle the vog. He hates the humid heat. I got my three years here and before that several years. His turn. And I'm ok with it. There's lots I enjoy on the mainland too. As long as I can come back regularly to visit Hawaii, I'm fine :-)

I work online so basically I just want a low crime, reasonably quiet neighborhood, reasonably clean air place. Beaverton has all that, the Internet he wants and plus lots of animals lovers/walking trails where we can walk a dog and not run into a pack of pit bulls like here where we are afraid to walk, so it will be a good fit perhaps. He'll like the newer homes to choose from (we're renting) with all the nice amenities - gas fireplace instead of stinky wood smoke, etc.

Main thing is it's my son's turn. Perhaps sometimes I grumble because it makes it easier to leave, and sometimes I'm not sure if the noise would bother me so much if it didn't bother my son so much, but I really have had difficulty with what was almost constant firecrackers for a week before Christmas.

I am sorry to hear about your dog. Where did you live in Oregon that they did fireworks ahead of the days? Or maybe I misunderstood.
Even just one night I know it is really hard on pets. With my son's A/C going one of our cats went to sleep in there - we could hardly hear the firecrackers, but then we had all windows in the house shut. It was nice to see Simba sleeping though. Wish other two would come in.

I don't recall hearing any firecrackers in Ashland Ore or Rogue River Ore. And they enforced the rules about the time you could do them. My friend in Grants Pass says in the country she heard gun shots but not now in the city. In LA we had a bullet hole in the ceiling from a New Year's Eve gun shot.

All we heard in Ashland Ore (a college town) and Rogue River Ore (more retirees) on New Year's Eve (and this in this decade) were people yelling Happy New Year to neighbors at midnight at banging pots and pans together and blowing those little party horns. On the 4th of July everything was at the parks and stadium. Oh and in Grants Pass we could do them n our yards. And there were the whistling ones but all pau at the end of the evening. Just for a few hours and that was it.

Here we had firecrackers starting a week before Christmas. Actually I absolutely loved HPP in the late 80's All we heard were the doves and wind in the ohias. Now we hear these big jack hammer tractors that shake the house and almost constant construction. It's just not for us, although I think if our home were insulated it would be much better.

Cindy
We were in Eugene, home of the University of Oregon and birthplace of Nike, for over 20 years, and every one of those years June and July were absolute hell for our pets, due to fireworks. The fire works stands in Oregon are huge fundraisers for all sorts of community groups: boy scouts, 4H, Rotary, Lions, Girls and Boys clubs, you name it. If you live in a neighborhood with kids they will be setting off whizbangers and firecrackers all day and night for weeks on end. Even if a given community doesn't sell fireworks, neighboring communities and all the Indian reservations do, so they are still prevalent. Ashland is a little different because it is a tourist based economy whose main product is an artistic and quaint environment, but neighboring Grants Pass is a whole other story. Ashland still has a kickass 4th of July parade, crafts fair, and night time fireworks display though.

Beaverton was too suburban and plastic for us, but Portland is a great city and the Max runs right from Beaverton/Nike campus to downtown. It is a young person's city too, my twenty something daugher and her husband moved there a few years ago and will probably never leave. Killer public transportation system, great little neighborhoods with brew pubs and quality eateries, solid techie scene, quirky arts districts, strong local music and performing arts scene, and as diverse and vital ethnic communities as you will find in the Pacific Northwest. Portland is also a foodie city with a strong localvore movement supporting farmers' markets and small producers. The winds from the Columbia Gorge keep the air clean and Mount Hood is only an hour away if you want to play in snow, the Coast is an hour in the other direction. But my daughter called early today and her cat has been hiding under the bed for a week now due to the fireworks in a normally peaceful Portland neighborhood. Good luck in the great Pacific Northwest, a wonderful place, just too damn dark in the winter!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Thank you Kathy. I know mine were fine last New Year's Eve here (not that we wanted them out but they went out in the a.m. and we couldn't get them back in) but hearing this from you helps a lot. It seems the vocal one of the two would meow though when he hears me, but I guess not if he doesn't want to found and moved from his "safe place." I had just gone out again to check with my flashlight but only managed to wake up some poor birds in the brush and my third cat who is inside. Guess I will just have to be patient. And it is sad about the dogs.
Tried to post this last night but guess I had been logged out by the system and didn't notice.
lease let me know when they're all found again, Cindy. It's really true that when cats are hiding out they stop being responsive to calls even if normally they are interactive. I have one cat who freaks out easily and her personality shifts night and day.
Thanks Kathy! I just logged in to post that all three cats are safe and sound :-) I was very reassured from what you wrote last night. I see those schizo changes in their personalities too when they're upset. I'm glad your calico is fine. Shadow came in about 45 minutes after next door fireworks stopped, even though there were some going off on the next street. Oliver was in when I got up this morning. Simba was in the whole time but went out shortly before Shadow came in. Simba and Shadow are buddies, so maybe he encouraged him. I had brought in a litter box so Simba was ok with staying in. He'd been asleep yesterday morning when the others went out and I never imagined things would get noisy so early. They are all out now and it's pretty quiet, although not for everyone in HPP - At 11 a.m. I was hearing distant booms - like from the big ones. My son finally gave up trying to sleep and thought he'd see the aerials at midnight. Only a few. Those were used up earlier and on Christmas. Go figure.

Next year no matter where we are living - cats are staying in New Year's Day.

I hope everyone's dogs came home. I was ready to comb the properites if my cats didn't especially around those lava tube pukas. Cats are more careful but dogs will fall into things when they are running out of fear.

Here's to a good New Year to all of us and our pets :-)