Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State makes private roads subject to traffic law
there is an hrs that is called basic speed rule. It basically says what Jerry referred to as unsafe driving under prevailing conditions. I don't think they can cite for a specific speed like 50 in a 35, where they would impose the $97 or whatever the fine is plus extra for the 15 mph over. You would just get cited for the "basic speed rule" which I believe is $97.

As far as the atv issue goes, on road use is illegal under what hawaii law? I regularly see hppoa road maintenance crews operating orv's and I know for a fact that they are unregistered, no safety check ect ect.... on paved roads. Even for maintenance purposes they are still classified as an off road vehicle. A beefier version of a atv. I believe they have 2 of them?

So if it is in fact true that atv's are illegal for on road use in hpp, the road guys are engaging in illegal activities also, no matter what their reason is. And at $14,000 a pop for these orv's, I very surprised that much money would be used to engage in an illegal activity.
Especially since that money more than likely comes out of my pocket.
And again, just because the law is being revised or changed, still doesn't fix the issue of not having enough officers to police the puna area as a whole. Or that is what I have been hearing for the last 15 years anyways. I personally never checked into the actual number of active duty officers in the puna district, but living in hpp and working in kapoho, I find it very hard to believe that the police presence will be felt more down here.

We have way bigger problems like homes being broke into at an alarming rate, than crappy drivers, but that's another issue.
Kathy, I hope you complained to the chief. If the incident occurred as you described their behavior was inexcusable and needed to be reported. I would have contested that ticket.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

I have been following the post - question

Will state standards for safety (road construction) now apply too?

Being that the county is enforcing the traffic laws on private ( home made ) roads

Isn't there implied liability ensure compliance with road safety design standards also?

Items like drainage, engineering, speed limits, sight lines etc.