Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campaigning at the Keaau bottleneck
I have sold my Huli Huli chicken there at the bottle neck in the past. For the most part people were happy to see me. The one big complaint that I received was that I was causing the traffic jam, in fact it got so bad that I quit selling at that place and have moved on to new places. Now that I’m not there anymore one can surly see the improvement with the traffic flow. I believe that someone else is now selling there so let them take the heat.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
you started this Lack so you better fix it.
<sarcasm>
the traffic is much better also btw! i can get home from mcdonalds much faster during rush hour now. thanks!
</sarcasm>

Just to echo David M's comment from yesterday, it'd be nice to see an opinion or two from some of our local political candidates who post here. The silence is deafening so far.

The Lack - unless you were deliberately trying to distract drivers I don't think it's quite the same issue! Political candidates should have public safety on their mind, surely it's an important part of their job once elected and yet it seems that can go by the wayside when campaigning.

I agree, it is a dreadful stretch of road. Perhaps we should forget about the campaigners and the Huli chicken sellers and focus our attention on forcing the County Council to do something about the bottleneck. I know our dear moderator favors roundabouts, but I still can't let go of the idea of opening Railroad through Mauna Kea's property and then paving it through to Beaches... But perhaps this thought belongs in its own thread...
To head off future problems involving roadside sign waving and public safety; I propose the County Council pass legislation that would prohibit nude campaigning.
Our political candidates naked at the Keaau bottleneck? What a thought. Is there space for a U-turn there? That could solve the Keaau bottleneck problem in a day or two.
The unemployed or perhaps government workers that take the day off with pay have to contribute to the "we've always done it that way" mentality that maintains the tradition off electing officials that will maintain their right to be unemployed or work for the county, while people who actually work for a living suffer the consequences.
quote:
Originally posted by DaVinci

Unless the activity rises to the level of shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater, with regard to safety, then I think the First Amendment would apply, giving the prerogative to the politicians in question. And I think that the safety issues raised do not rise to such a level. Speech is protected in this country, especially political speech, of which these are clear examples. I think we'll just have to knuckle under and really concentrate and try to navigate that difficult stretch of highway, depsite the distractions. Happy driving!
So long as the law applies evenly to all, it's not a violation of free speech to place safety restrictions on activities along roadways. If they ban political campaigning but allow other types, it would be a violation. However, if the reason for prohibiting individual and business activities is based on safety, it's the activity that warrants restrictions, not the message.

But as is typical in the political circles, they exclude their own activity from the rules using such excuses as free speech and political speech. Fact is, if the activity is a safety concern, what makes it safe when a politician does it?
and so now we get the people that want to turn that entire stretch into 2 lanes... would you rather the bypass road not be there? and everyone have to drive through keaau? apparently everyone is some rush.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

quote:
Originally posted by DaVinci

Unless the activity rises to the level of shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater, with regard to safety, then I think the First Amendment would apply, giving the prerogative to the politicians in question. And I think that the safety issues raised do not rise to such a level. Speech is protected in this country, especially political speech, of which these are clear examples. I think we'll just have to knuckle under and really concentrate and try to navigate that difficult stretch of highway, depsite the distractions. Happy driving!
So long as the law applies evenly to all, it's not a violation of free speech to place safety restrictions on activities along roadways. If they ban political campaigning but allow other types, it would be a violation. However, if the reason for prohibiting individual and business activities is based on safety, it's the activity that warrants restrictions, not the message.

But as is typical in the political circles, they exclude their own activity from the rules using such excuses as free speech and political speech. Fact is, if the activity is a safety concern, what makes it safe when a politician does it?

Agreed. I just don't think either activity (campaigning or chicken selling) rises to the level of a safety issue. To suggest that we are so susceptible to distraction while driving would open the debate to restrictions on having children in the car with you, or playing music, or allowing other vehicles to be painted bright colors...