Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kama'aina or a local
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

FWIW, it's not much different in a lot of other places. In Maine, even if you moved there 20 years ago from Massachusetts, you're "from away".

Worse than that... In 1961 we moved about 10 miles, two towns away (in Maine). I was a freshman in HS with 7 young siblings. When my folks passed on 40 plus years later, they still weren't considered locals. Strange as it may seem, I feel Hawaii is more my home in my heart than that town ever was.

David
Edit for typos Smile
Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

FWIW, it's not much different in a lot of other places. In Maine, even if you moved there 20 years ago from Massachusetts, you're "from away".

Good point.

In the 1990's the Californians who flocked to Seattle were blamed for driving up real estate prices. Seattle employers were quick to toss their resumes in the wastebasket when they applied for work. Stickers that read "Californians Go Back Home" were commonplace on cars.
I'm a local who lived all my life on Oahu. My pipedream is to live off the land in Hilo where all the local people are. I have no interest in "social media"- facebook - what's that? if it wasn't for the Farming and Building section I wouldn't be here. But I reckon if I don't seek out advice here I won't realize my pipedreams. I'm different from other Oahu folk who move over because it's still Hawaii but affordable who spend there time mowing the front lawn amid temple ornaments. Also the folk from mainland with idyllic vision of ohia trees- i prefer ironwoods and eucalyptus.

On a more "local" mb one of the senior posters installing pv system and giving the scoops about all the Oahu vendors but irrelevant to me since it's Oahu.

My friend at work originally from California- not just blonde but with a "Fox news" pov keeps telling me in hushed tone-"you have to be careful about what you say." i keep telling her that she has to to get me a part time job at Home Depot when I retire next year since I won't be eligible for medicare yet- her husband work there since they wouldn't hire him here at the hospital. She says there's a constant personnel turnover and they fire people for stupid stuff. But if can get a job at HD I can learn something about building and eventually tranfer to Hilo??