Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tell me about Puna...
Puna is 20 years behind the times. Be careful if your part time business requires the internet. Many places in puna have no internet or if they do it's just dialup.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Your neighbors can make or break you. A spaghetti lot gives you little buffer. If you see an empty lot, imagine the worst in the future, because it happens to people. From meth labs next door to fighting roosters, a pack of ever-barking dogs, neighbors who fire guns into the air for fun ... it's all here.

Lots of great great stuff, but if you can't handle your close neighbors, that can be overwhelming.

Learn about some of the pests -- coqui frogs, stinging nettle caterpillar, scholopendra (big centipedes) rat lungworm disease, fire ants. These things will likely be part of your life.

Sit down and read the topics here in building and gardening forums, to get an idea of what people's concerns are.

It's very expensive to live here, even if you think you are ready to minimize. So figure out your source of income in advance. As a newcomer, you'll find it's hard to get hired (understatement). [Smile]

Guess we got lucky here.On one side, we still have yet to meet them.My wife's been over a couple times to say hello, but they weren't home. But they are QUIET. Our other neighbors are the greatest.They are watching over our place till we move there and are just friendly as can be. Our daughter, her spouse, and our little grandaughter live in HPP (now you see why we're moving there-to spoil our grandaughter!!). We've made a few other friends too that have been very helpful.

jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
The more you pay, the less chance you'll have of unpleasant neighbors (no guarantee of course). You could also look for a house with an empty lot for sale next to it and buy that as well - they're going cheap.

Not that many farms about but you can get lots of goodies at the Farmers Market between HPP and Pahoa on Sundays. I like the papayas - sometimes as cheap as 7 for a dollar!
The only real way to get any sort of idea is to come over and rent for awhile. Perhaps start with a one month VRBO house for a taste. But that will only be a taste. Whatever, RENT FIRST!!!
I'm from Syracuse. I bought property in Eden Roc. Strange that I moved 5,000 miles and picked an area that is so similar to Syracuse, weather-wise. It can rain a lot, like days on end. Total average annual precipitation at Hilo airport is 127 inches. At other nearby areas near Hilo and at Mountain View that average is over 200 inches. For Syracuse the average is 40 inches. Granted this year Hilo Airport got only 62 inches, only 50% of normal, but still 50% more than the average at Syracuse. On the other hand it is not uncommon to get sun every day between rain showers. This is much different than central new york where you might not see the sun for weeks, even if it doesn't rain much.
@DanielP
What is VRBO ?

@birdmove
I have heard living there is expensive... but when we pay $500/month in JUST property tax, and $1100/month for lousy health insurance, on top of the gas & electric bills for heat alone, I can't imagine it being much worse.

I have read on another thread about cock fighting. To me, ANY type of animal fighting is horrible, even greyhound racing! I think I have a lot of renting to do.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOU HONESTY... can you all be my neighbors? Smile
vrbo.com is a vacation rental web site. Generally considered safer to rent through a comapny like them than the free ads that get posted on craigslist.org
quote:
Originally posted by LADesign

@DanielP
What is VRBO ?

@birdmove
I have heard living there is expensive... but when we pay $500/month in JUST property tax, and $1100/month for lousy health insurance, on top of the gas & electric bills for heat alone, I can't imagine it being much worse.

I have read on another thread about cock fighting. To me, ANY type of animal fighting is horrible, even greyhound racing! I think I have a lot of renting to do.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOU HONESTY... can you all be my neighbors? Smile

VRBO is vacation rental by owner. Yeah, we adopted two retired racing Greyhounds years ago.Wonderful dogs!Loved them and gave them a good home for the rest of their lives.One had been badly mistreated and had had a very rough time of it.familys kept adopting her and taking her back.She was very quirky.We were determined to give her a stable good home for good, and we did.She did not like me for quite a while.She didn't like men period.Some male trainor, I'm sure, had abused her.

jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I also adopted a beautiful Greyhound. He was 4 years old, his back leg had been broken but not fixed properly. He was wonderful & loving, very skittish but so well behaved after some training! I had to fianally put him down at 14, we had 10 great years with him. I'm sorry to hear you had a rough time with yours, but I'm sure she appreciated all you did for her!!