Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HECO union employees give 48hr strike notice
I dashed off my comment in haste...let me try to rephrase. Some folks think all corporations are bad/greedy. Some folks think unions and their members are always bad/greedy. Some folks think the answers to all of America's woes can be found in corporate success. Others think greater pay and benefits for workers is the answer. I think we can all agree, however, that electric rates on our Island are pretty high and something needs to be done to rein them in.

It's easy to say "cut management salaries," but the actual dollars you'd reap wouldn't make much of a difference spread out over a large employee base. Lots of folks in our area have had their jobs eliminated, or their salaries and benefits reduced over the past few years. Should their electric rates be raised to subsidize benefits for someone else?

Like Rob, I admire the work these folks do and believe they deserve good wages and benefits -- yes, higher than the "average worker." But I worked at a utility where union employees frequently made six figure salaries (more than their managers in some cases) and still tried to rally customer support for increases when it came to contract renewal time. I don't know who's got the more valid position in this case, so I was just saying that before I lend my support to either the corporation or its workers, I'd want more details about the workers pay scales and benefits.
Welcome to punaweb, anthonyf! Not sure I agree with you about "taking dignity away from corporation[s]" but varying opinions are welcome.

I hope this can be resolved without a strike.
Could be wrong, but hoping to see meaningful numbers regarding wages and benefits related to this strike action would be like p***ing in the wind. Seems i also remember hearing an interesting work story or two that wouldn't garner lots of sympathy, one involving changing light bulbs and only a certain worker could do it even though another was right there.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Ah, David you are right on, on that memory (and don't forget only changing the one that needed changing... and at that cost!....)

That is why I am only trying to give a heads up to a potential change of services, not debate the issue!
EF- Mud takes longer to dry on Wed/Thur when it was raining than yesterday when it was dry.... lol

Okay so a strike would affect us how? What else can you think of in addition to the few I have below?

Higher rates if HECO employees receive raises?
Power outages if same employees are on strike?
Slower response times to electrical event?

Which employees does this affect? out in the field line workers? meter readers? (I'm not gonna cry if my bill is slow!) Secretaries? exactly who is in this particular union.

And if we refer to averages - are their wages comparable with COLA here to same jobs on mainland?

and honestly HECO is a monopoly.

HI TEL used to be before the advent of Skyp, roadrunner tel, cells, etc. My land line w/ DSL is less than 1/2 what it was in 1990 with dial up. So breaking up the monopoly might not be a bad thing necessarily.
Worst case - complete power failure - Best case, no noticeable change - most likely there could be some change in service.

As with anything on this island, best to be prepared for it than not prepared....

A strike would include HECO, MECO, HELCO IBEW electrical workers, including the HECO, MECO, HELCO owned, non-supervisory power plant workers, line workers, some office workers, power operations workers.

This would include much of the Hawaiii state power generation, but not include the independent generators. It would include the operations guys that coordinate the islands grid, so response to grid changes could be off.... also the line workers, so storm response could be slower, and the HECO, MECO, HELCO owned power plants would be working on supervisory staffing only.

HECO, MECO, HELCO has not had a strike in many years, so how each island would be effected is not a sure thing. In the past, black out times were noted, along with some line voltage fluctuations (brown outs).

The union was negotiated down to asking for maintaining retirement age requirements, medical benefits & single tier wage negotiation, having conceded on salary increase & eliminating the electric compensation benefit. When the company did not enter mediation, these concessions were removed from the table.

As HECO, MECO, HELCO rates were already raised through PUC this last year, in order to maintain dividends at 6% return. Stockholders may now be asked to carry more of the burden...

Yesterday the negotiations were expended to Monday (at the eleventh hour)
Power outage in Kapoho from sometime prior to 1:45 AM and lasting till 11:59 Am.

Do I get a credit for my ice cream that is runny now???
So, are they striking?
IBEW union workers are now on strike against the HEI companies, including HELCO
Interesting. On the news, they walked off in middle of storm damage outage on Oahu, leaving 8K without power. Wonder if any of the strikers live in the neighborhood?

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident