Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ratlung worm on the rise again
I know the state dept of health does have a vector control branch. One of their tasks is to control rats but good luck getting rid of all of them. I used to see them setting rat traps but haven't seen them lately. Perhaps they got their budget cut with all the financial problems the state is having.

http://hawaii.gov/health/environmental/v...index.html
Aloha-

Can't address the rats and nematodes, but most slug bait leaves metals in the soil. I use 16-16-16 granular fertilizer: spread it out like a minefield. It's a salt and you know what happens to slugs and salt. I prefer organics (Alaska Fish and compost) but a side effect of using a lot of compost is that it makes an ideal nursery for slugs. Like any military operation, choose your timing and the location of your minefields carefully. Best when used just before rain. Had so many snails here in Washington that I started preparing escargot. Not bad, but neither is anything else swimming in butter and garlic.

bamboo2u
Bumping this thread. Some dear friends have the most amazing garden, which includes things I love but am not presently growing myself: lettuce, kale and papayas.

We entered into a discussion based on this thread. I am leery of eating the delicious, local produce offered to me by my friends, based in part on what I have read in this thread. They argue that the actual incidence of Rat Lung Disease is low. They are making efforts to control rats and have seen semi-slugs on their property.

My instinct is to avoid local leafy greens altogether. They regard this as an affront to their kindness and generosity, both of which I value. I also value my life and health, which I would not wish to see compromised further.

Is there an agreed upon, safe method of cleansing local leafy vegetables, or, I guess, papayas, so that they can be consumed in confidence, or am I stuck with iceberg lettuce that has been on a container ship for 10 days?
Slugs, snails & demi-slugs are not supposed to cross copper. I have not planted the edible leafy greens, but have put copper wire around my papaya (those Giant snails used to hang out in them) with no more snails...I have also had good success with growing my orchids on raised growing tables with copper wire around the legs.

Friends who had delectable (to snails) flowers have also had success with copper wire rings around the plants...

If you would like to try some copper wire, just let me know...
I've been using the iron phosphate bait and it works extremely well. I was expecting it to be a lot less effective than the toxic stuff, but it wiped out all the slugs around my plants within a couple of days with one application, and they haven't returned. I put a little more out a few months ago when it looked like there was some feeding damage, but never actually saw any sign of them. Iron isn't a metal you need to worry about building up too much of in the soil (there's lots of it anyway), and the phosphate part turns into fertilizer when it breaks down.
I wouldn't worry about papayas at all regarding rat lung worm. The risk is ingesting a slug, especially a baby slug that can be 1mm small. Since you don't eat the outside of the papaya, there's nothing to worry about. Kale you can cook and don't have to worry about if you do so. But raw is risky because of the texture, it is very difficult to rinse it well enough to be sure you got every possible slug. Lettuce I don't mess with. If you are going to eat local lettuce, the flatter the leaf the better to be able to really tell if you got everything off of it. Thoroughly rinse and expect each leaf under running water. For me, it's not worth the bother. Semi-slugs are the most likely carriers but all the slugs here can have it. Cooked local leafy greens are nothing to worry about. I eat uncooked tomatoes and peppers from my yard. They are very easy to inspect visually for a living slug.
The incidence of rat lung worm is unknown, and likely underreported. There is no easy way to test for it, and people are sent home from even the ED with it undiagnosed because the symptoms can be similar to many other things. As someone with a background in public health, specifically epidemiology, I don't think taking steps to avoid it is at all paranoid. If anything is delusional, it is the lack of effort by the DOH to adequately address the problem, in the deluded thinking that it is rare and not a risk to the public's health. Statewide it may not statistically be a big problem, but East Hawaii is really the only population center in the state with such a slug and snail friendly climate, so if anyone should be concerned about it, it should be those of us in East Hawaii where we know so many of the slugs, snails, and rats harbor the organism.
The thing we noticed is that the snails scrape at the outside of the papaya, esp. near the base...a couple of our littler trees were taken out by the snails...that is when I first tried the copper wire. Not sure if they would scrape at the fruit... but I really do not like having them around...& the copper wire is pretty no-brainer type of thing... put it on & forget it...
Eh Kelena,

I'm 100% with you on this ... Waht to do ? Tell 'em you already ate ?

I usually say while laughing ... " Sorry you guys, I guess this is where we part ways on our opinions. "

And follow up with some self-effacing comment to keep things light.

aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by mary

i put everything in a bowl of water with food grade hydrogen peroxide 17% and let the greens sit for 10 minutes in the mixture. it kills everything i can see.

Including vitamins? They will be mostly gone in thorough cooking too.
I am with HIH and Kelena - not eating local greens altogether.The risk is not worth it.
I attended a seminar at UH Hilo in Nov '11. I thought someone summarized it on Puna Web, but can find it. There is a lot of info if you search rat lungworm. I remember all the experts at the seminar would not confirm soaking leafy vegetables in ANYTHING that would ascertain they were safe. I always use a heavy salt solution, which seems to work, but after that seminar I don't eat raw kale anymore, unless I go to "America". I used to get it from Hamakua, but the panel said there was even a case of rat lungworm in Honokaa. As for the friends wanting you to take produce, give them some CDC facts. You are entitled to say no thank you for whatever reason. Because I have a Masters in Public Health, I am much more aware of health issues like tropical diseases and also the Vog issue here; which I also think everyone is in a state of denial about. Don't talk about the Vog monster in the middle of the living room! In spite of all this, I still want to live here rather than anywhere else in the world. It's well worth the extra caution - be safe.