Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why?
Again, I have no ill will towards Micronesians. I was treated well while there. I was aslo strongly warned against certain areas by the locals (The case in any area). I also witnessed a very strange running street battle between two large groups using rocks and slings on the main belt road.
They are like people everywhere with their own sets of problems. Currently they have more than their share. The links I posted earlier are objective scholarly articles and are just a few of many on the topic. I believe the current issues with the people of Chuuk and Micronesia can be accepted as factual. They also have a high birth rate in a country of very limited land. Immigration is their population relief valve. Ignoring problems does not make them go away. If our elected officials deem it a political or humanitarian necessity to continue with the current immigration policies in regards to Micronesia, then so be it. As I said, I have no ill will towards them and hope they can be successfully assimilated. Unfortunately, if global warming does become a major issue, those unfortunate residents of those tiny islands, many of which are of predominately low elavation, are in for a tough go and will be needing a lot of help if not near total relocation.

S. FL Islander to be
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
After re-reading my post, I think I gave the wrong impression to many, most, or all of you. I posted what I observed -- rusting, abandoned cars and lean-to's on the beach, and debris on the roads. I meant to say that the Locals attributed these things to the immigrants, not my attributing these things to the immigrants. They also mention the welfare. I was only there for about 2 weeks and could not authoritatively speak on the issues. Sorry for my misleading you.
"No matta what cola you....human race brah."

This stuff has no merit...adios.

Carrie

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2

Todays News References Aloha.

Read this link.

Aloha
Wyatt

http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/19/news/story02.html

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
I wonder if the human race will allow itself to survive long enough to blend.

quote:
YOKWE - Enough already - The attitudes displayed leave much to be desired. Although the Marshall Islands are not, technically, part of the "Federated States of Micronesia" they easily could have been. As many of you know Carol and I have lived there for quite a time now and Carol is still living and working there as I build our home. I wish I could have some of my Micronesian friends helping me with the house. They are wonderful people and I hate to see them maligned on this forum. Please check your attitudes.

Edited by - kaptkimo on 02/18/2007 19:50:27

funny you should say that because most of the trouble on Guam is committed by either Marshallese or Chuukese people, why is that?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:
Again, I have no ill will towards Micronesians. I was treated well while there. I was aslo strongly warned against certain areas by the locals (The case in any area). I also witnessed a very strange running street battle between two large groups using rocks and slings on the main belt road.
They are like people everywhere with their own sets of problems. Currently they have more than their share. The links I posted earlier are objective scholarly articles and are just a few of many on the topic. I believe the current issues with the people of Chuuk and Micronesia can be accepted as factual. They also have a high birth rate in a country of very limited land. Immigration is their population relief valve. Ignoring problems does not make them go away. If our elected officials deem it a political or humanitarian necessity to continue with the current immigration policies in regards to Micronesia, then so be it. As I said, I have no ill will towards them and hope they can be successfully assimilated. Unfortunately, if global warming does become a major issue, those unfortunate residents of those tiny islands, many of which are of predominately low elavation, are in for a tough go and will be needing a lot of help if not near total relocation.

S. FL Islander to be

Funny, people down there really don't realize how great they have it. Chuuk is one of the most beautiful islands in the entire world. I gotta question why anbody would leave such a place?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
TV to see all the many things money can buy but no jobs that pay enough money to buy many.
Also stories from those that have gone abroad etc. Schools that teach them about the world etc. It wasn't that many years ago that darn near every local kid in Hawaii wanted to get off island as soon as they could.
S. FL Islander to be

Edited by - oink on 02/20/2007 16:00:54
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
My opinion on this topic which I am glad a thread like this was made because now we can get it out on the table. Anywhere you go in this world, you should always respect the culture and the lifestyle. Currently, many locals are no longer working on the coffee farms because is it cheaper to hire a family of mexicans to come and do the work for less then minimum wage and no documentation but these immigrants can qualify for wellfair, free medical, etc... and that is really horrible. The middle class pays in the end. and Hawaiians as I see it are struggling. Some with jobs whom are still homeless. I respect the micronesians because they live close to the polynesians but it is sad when my mom got bumped off of a program called Keola Mamo (supposedly to help the Hawaiians) for the Micronesians. I don't mind the Mexicans but they are creating havoc in Kona. The only problem I have with Mexicans is if they are documented or not. If they applied for amnesty then that is fine, but if they are here and dependant off of our tax dollars then I have a huge problem with them and I will personally turn in "any" company who hires undocumented workers. Sorry but I'm all for the locals. My question is what did this store owner do not to do well. Please don't stereotype all ethnic groups. I'm with Malolo on that. I think this is a good thread because it shows what we need to work on as a community and straightens up a few things. That in every race there is bad and good. Why stereotype the whole race for a few bad apples.

Edited by - momi on 02/21/2007 07:48:01
Aloha translated to Spanish is Aloha.
Go figure.

Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen